No headphone exclusive magazines?
May 11, 2004 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Gummy

100+ Head-Fier
How come I don't see any?
It seems like there is a market for it.
AM I missing out on something I ain't seeing?

Closest thing I see is stereophile and most stuff are too expensive for me (nhence the small interest)

May 11, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 18
You don't see any, because there's no worthwhile market - at least not for a print publication. An online mag in English might work, though - at least as soon as there's a really convienient form of micro-payment.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 11, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 18
Well, there's head-fi! It covers the whole industy, has photos, rumors, great reviews from a whole variety of points of view, it's international in its scope, has some of the most experienced and knowledgeable people around, arranges meets in your area so you can go and try out the equipment and meet like-minded people, and best of all it's free. Sure it's not on glossy paper, but what does it not have that you'd want in a magazine?

May 11, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 18
While it is growing, and extremely popular around these parts, the headphone market is still amazingly small in comparison to the speaker one. Why dedicate a magazine to headphones just to review ICs, PCs, sources and such when so many already do this? I guess the only dedicated column I see for headphones is one on SoundStage! called All In Your Head. (It is my column BTW, and a fact, not a plug.) There are sadly very few voices clamoring for attention to be given to the headphone market, but thru head-fi and other sites we're slowing turning around public opinion on headphones. It is going to take a while before we're taken seriously, but I see it happening!

May 11, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 18
I think that would be a pretty thin magazine. New related products don't come out quickly enough to fill a whole magazine every month, nor quickly enough to neccesitate a publication devoted to the subject.

May 11, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseboisse
I think that would be a pretty thin magazine. New related products don't come out quickly enough to fill a whole magazine every month, nor quickly enough to neccesitate a publication devoted to the subject.

Mu guess is that if you produced a magazine that published an article every other month on one set of cans, one amp, and one source, you would never run out of material. I think that within a couple of years you could even go to a monthly publication. Right now there are a good 50 sets of cans out there, and that means 100 months worth of articles if not a single set of new cans is introduced in the next 8 years and four months. Sounds like a lot of material to me, but the question that begs to be asked is if that material is all viable and will draw readers?

May 11, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Probably. I could see easily see it as a quarterly magazine, though. It doesn't have to be completely about just new products. You could do quite a bit with a headphone magazine. Let's see:

Reviews of old and new products
-you could do a history of a product line or of headphones or even how headphones came about

Buying Guide/Recommendations
-Computer setups (we could even cover silent PCs)
-Standalone setups
-Budget setups with various budgets

Comparisons
-Amps, D/A Converters
-Why pay more for headphones

Where to buy good headphone gear
Why Bose, Sony, etc.... sucks.
How to build your own amp or d/a converter
How to use measuring equipment - whether or not you really need to

Head-Fi meets
-Who brought what
-Reviews
-Comparisons
-Favorites
-Stinkers
-Disappointments

Custom Setups
-Head-fi folks and the choices they made and why plus a review of how it sounds
-Furniture
-Stands/Cases

You could also have a classified section for buyers and sellers as well as dealers.

Celebrity headphone setups (I'm sure there has got to be some out there)

And lets not forget recommended music that are perfect for headphones - we've got thousands of CDs to choose from in addition to dozens of new ones every week begging to be found. Wouldn't you like to know how that latest reissue sounds on your cans?

I'm sure there are way more. But, yeah, it could be done.
smily_headphones1.gif
It doesn't have to be BIG - even an eight to 16 page monthly newsletter would do just fine.

May 11, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 18
I agree, I think there should be a magazine for headphones if one does not exist currently. There are a lot of companies making headphones these days. There are more than enough headphones AND headphone amplifiers in the market. The you could have reviews and a section for suggestion in choosing a good amp for certain headphone, etc. The magazine could cover headphones by application: home, on the road, audiophile, dj, studio monitoring, etc. There is a lot of good info on head-fi that would be good to have in a magazine. Heck there is a magazine for just about anything of interest in the world., why isn't there one for headphones? Since there is a mag for pot, then I say we should have a mag for headphones.

May 11, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
Since there is a mag for pot, then I say we should have a mag for headphones.

Well weed is a major cultural thing. Headphones aren't, really. Well, nice ones anyway. It's becoming a fashion statement to wear streetstyles around your neck, but that doesn't count.

May 11, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
Head-Fi gives me all the headphone related information that I need, added bonus it's free!
smily_headphones1.gif

And much more interactive and versatile all at the same time.

May 11, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Icachola: Are you suggesting a Head-Fi zine?
tongue.gif

Yup.
smily_headphones1.gif
We've got all the pieces there, we just need to put it together in a format that's more accessible to the rest of the world. Something like this would be perfect. The Comixpedia site was started on a dare and while it isn't essential for getting around the webcomic world just yet, it exists.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
And much more interactive and versatile all at the same time.

The problem I have with it is that it's near impossible to find anything without spending a lot of time sifting through discussions. The review sections are nice start, but it feels incomplete.

Maybe a print mag isn't the way to go - maybe just a good sister site (or front end site) to this one that puts everything in a more easily accessible fashion.

May 11, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Well weed is a major cultural thing. Headphones aren't, really. Well, nice ones anyway. It's becoming a fashion statement to wear streetstyles around your neck, but that doesn't count.

Still, the point was that they'll have a magazine about just about anything. Whether or not it would sell in large enough quantities to make money would be doubtful, true, but a website that pulls in all that stuff together for newbies/experienced users would be awesome. We just have to find people willing to work on it and businesses willing to sponsor it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back