'No-hassle' in-ears
Jun 14, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Using the RP-HJE50 for a week while on holiday was a night-and-day difference from the EX71 - clarity and fullness in spades, with airiness I didn't think was possible from earbuds. Of course they don't have the detail of headphones that actually cost money, but they're not lacking enough to take away from the fun of listening in any way. Pick a pair up off ebay for a tenner and try them out (burn-in over that week extended the bass and mellowed the highs), to my ears they're worth it.

hmm. my problem is i'm too rough on gear thus i'm kinda cornered into the shure market. the panasonic buds are fragile.

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #17 of 28
Quick enquiries revealed some difficulties in getting hold of the Qualia buds. So custom it is. I just have this feeling that they'll be maximum hassle, but on the plus side I'll no longer be curious about the ultimate capabilities of balanced armature drivers.

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Quick enquiries revealed some difficulties in getting hold of the Qualia buds. So custom it is. I just have this feeling that they'll be maximum hassle, but on the plus side I'll no longer be curious about the ultimate capabilities of balanced armature drivers.

definitely let us know how your experience is with them. I'm really tempted to get a pair on my next trip to japan.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbagump
hmm. my problem is i'm too rough on gear thus i'm kinda cornered into the shure market. the panasonic buds are fragile.

I dunno if I just got a good pair, but the ones I had (now my Dad's) have withstood a lot of punishment from both of us, and I never once have had the feeling of poor construction off them that I've read about on other people's models. It does make me a bit wary about getting another pair (to replace these E2Cs for everyday portable listening, yes I think that highly of them) in case my first pair were a freak and the next will fall apart in my hands, but I might just take a chance on that
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #23 of 28
I just got the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro hoping it would be the solution.

When I got my Shure E4c I complained about the recessed bass, so here goes: Where's my clarity?! Treble??? These just don't sound like they're resolving enough musical information (is it the muddy bass/midbass?)

Sigh. My gut right now is that the Shure E4c is the clearly technically superior canalphone. The super.fi may grow on me the more I get used to their sound. They certainly do have an amazing soundstage - feels wider than my Sensas actually, in a similar way the E4c sound narrower. And people certainly won't be complaining about the quantity of bass...

But this isn't what comes to mind when I think of high-fidelity sound. Not that it's bad, just "meh". Not as one-note bass as the Qualia buds at least.

Sigh. Maybe you just can't do it in this form factor.

Anyway, will listen more, but I've learned that impressions like this don't change that much...

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: I am wearing these in the same downward manner as the Shure E4c/Sony MDR-EX71. Works fine for my ears, but the Shures are far better for this. They fit in a lot more snugly this way, and not having a memory wire is a bonus.

Post-postscript: I guess one benefit is that the super.fi's aren't resolving enough for me to hear the iPod Photo audio defect anymore, unlike the Sensas and Shure E4c.

Jul 22, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #25 of 28
Yah, already own them. They're... interesting. I should post more detailed thoughts - but their frequency curve isn't smooth at all. Anyway, they're okay, but not spectacular. Better than the EX81, though.

Best,

-Jason

Jul 23, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #27 of 28
Go custom -- UE10, UE5c -- whatever. They're both wonderful. If you're lucky like me, you'll have this perfect fit, incredible comfort. Bulletproof case, plus a simple portable case. Hard acrylic material = no lint, incredibly durable. And ahhh the sound (at least for the ones I have -- UE5c) --you'll love them.

Go custom, and your search will be over, for good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back