No fun on the SE530's
Apr 18, 2008 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ZarakiSan

100+ Head-Fier
So, I bought a pair of SE530's here on head-fi, and while shipping and everything went fine, I just can't have any fun wearing them. Sure, the sound is a step up from my CX300's, but it's nothing like, not even close, to the sheer energy the DT880's seem to have. Theres no sparkle on the earphones either, and about the only thing they do well is Norah Jones, but you'd have to be talking lo-fi if her vice wasn't brilliant.

What earphones would be better? Would the TF10's give more enjoyable highs? I'm looking for a pair of earphones that has both highs and lows, and I can't see a pair. Ety has no lows, Shure has no highs, and Ue I'm not too sure about.

Also, the damn things are uncomfortable and I can't get a decent seal in my right ear. It just pushes the earphones out again.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 15
surprisingly, after reading through a lot of pages praising the e500/se530, i also find its highs not sparkly enough to be justified as a good upgrade from my sf5pro.

if only the sf5pro was comfortable enough to wear for longer periods, i wouldnt have sold it

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 15
Are you using an amp? If not, that could explain why you're getting lackluster sound. A decent portable amp (I'm using a RSA Tomahawk, but others will also do) will make the SE530s shine, as it's likely your player can't pump out enough power to properly drive them.

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 15
what kind of ipod do you have? if you have a 5 or 5.5g ipod, rockbox it. If you mess around with the sound settings, i find it really brings out the se530. Unless you have a classic.

Another recommendation from other head-fiers is that you should try the electronic eq on your ipod.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 15
I rarely use an amp w/ my SE530 set. When I sent my E500 back to Shure for replacement and went back to my S.f 5 Pros waiting for the SE530, I found that I couldn't tolerate the UE's relatively mundane sound anymore. Dunno, but 7 months of E500 usage was more than enough to make a believer out of me, whether via an iPod 5.5, Zune 80 or anything else.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 15
I have the E5C which are identical to the E530. In the beginning I was disappointed myself. Then I found out that the Xin SM3 made them sound dull. I use a HeadAMP AE-2 now which is much, much better. I also bought a pair of Shure Olives which took care of my sealing problems. I'm absolutely happy with them now.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the E5C which are identical to the E530.

Are you sure about that? I thought E5C are dual driver, whereas SE530 are triple driver...

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the E5C which are identical to the E530.

You mean E500. :p

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 15
I think you're hearing right as the Shure's frequency response is way down in the upper frequencies. The UE TF10 pro does have a more balanced upper frequency response IMO. You may have fit issues though, as this tripple driver IEM has a large bore sound exit which doesn't play well with some peoples ears. I would purchase a set from a dealer who allows returns to see if these work better for you.

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #12 of 15
I use an amp, I have a high-end CMOY in my rig.

I don't use an iPod, I have an Archos 605 which, too, has lackluster sound. But at home, it's the same deal out of a 0202USB fed by FB2K.

I'm strongly considering buying some TF10Pro's and selling the ones I hate the most.

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 15
How long have you have the SE530's? It is pretty clearly documented that the SE's take about 100 hours to really come into their own. That was the experience I had with them. I was underwhelmed until I reached about 125-130 of listening, then they really started warming up. In terms of the UE Triples, they are definitely a 'brighter' headphone in the mids and the highs than the Shures, I own both... I think the Shures are a much more 'accurate' headphone and don't color the sound the way the UE's do, but the Shures also have better bass extension IMO. If I'm listening to jazz, classical, etc... I would recommend the Shures every time, but if I'm listening to rock, alternative, hip-hop, punk, etc... I would definitely grab the UE's.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 15
I'd say the Shures destroy the Super Fi Pro in every regard. They are much more balanced and controlled throughout the whole frequency range.

As far as comparing Triple Fi to SE530, I have a hard time saying either one is "better" than the other. While TFP's may have slightly more detailed highs I think the SE530 does midrange and bass better or more natural sounding. The Shures have a more aggressive and forward presentation and the UE's (with the recessed midrange) seem a little more laid back and distant but still very pleasing to the ear and euphoric...slightly larger soundstage. They are both excellent. I'm kind of the opposite of Drexel above where I prefer the Shures for hard rock, hip hop, jazz fusion and acoustic music and the UE's for classical, orchestral and all other types of jazz.

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Agree with spyro. It might be your music taste that urged you post this thread. I personally listen to a lot of rock and rap. Its perfect for that.

However, i listen to jazz sometimes and its nothing to sneeze at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back