No frills xlr cable
Mar 31, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 11
Chose a Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cable from a major bulk cable manufacture like Belden, Canare or Mogami (also Gepco & West Penn).
You want a cable with a braided shield rather than one with a foil & drain wire shield.
Symmetry of the two central conductors is important, so stay away from boutique manufactures.
Also get Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 11
All any advise on what decent 1-2 mts xlr cable there are.Nothing exotic just needs to be faithfully delivering the signal without loss.
What's the intended use case?

As an extention i use this one.
https://audio-hifi-shop.de/epages/f...-4e58-b3b2-388f702d18ec/Products/Art.Nr.00488

2 mts for about 35€. :wink:

Or you can take a look here:

https://www.perakabel.de/kabel-xlr-4-5-polig/xlr-4-polig/?page=3

For headphones:

https://www.dysonaudio.com/collections/headphone

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 11
Chose a Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cable from a major bulk cable manufacture like Belden, Canare or Mogami (also Gepco & West Penn).
You want a cable with a braided shield rather than one with a foil & drain wire shield.
Symmetry of the two central conductors is important, so stay away from boutique manufactures.
Also get Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors.

The manufacturer link, this fine ?

https://procables.audio/epages/b0f6...b-63fabf175cd2/Products/NC3FXXB-Pea-2-NC3MXXB

May 1, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 11
There's an Amazon vendor called "World's Best Cables" that uses Canare star quad cable with Amphenol connectors for a reasonable price. The three-footers are out of stock right now but they have some two-footers.

Edit: this is US Amazon.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 11
All any advise on what decent 1-2 mts xlr cable there are.Nothing exotic just needs to be faithfully delivering the signal without loss.

Although higher end than you need, try the Van Damme StarQuad. Ready made with neutrik connectors, 1m = €14.00 (approx + shipping to EU). As far as audio signal integrity is concerned, it doesn't get higher end than this. Bare in mind that the bulk price is roughly: Cable = €2 per meter + two Neutrik connectors = €5. So, a 100% mark-up for a ready made is reasonable and you certainly shouldn't be paying more than about €20 for one.

Other manufacturers such as Klotz, Canare, Mogami, etc., have similar products with the same level of performance.

Lastly, be careful of the retailer, some/many try to charge silly money, I've seen mark-ups of 1,000%! :scream:

G

May 5, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 11
Although higher end than you need, try the Van Damme StarQuad. Ready made with neutrik connectors, 1m = €14.00 (approx + shipping to EU). As far as audio signal integrity is concerned, it doesn't get higher end than this. Bare in mind that the bulk price is roughly: Cable = €2 per meter + two Neutrik connectors = €5. So, a 100% mark-up for a ready made is reasonable and you certainly shouldn't be paying more than about €20 for one.

Other manufacturers such as Klotz, Canare, Mogami, etc., have similar products with the same level of performance.

Lastly, be careful of the retailer, some/many try to charge silly money, I've seen mark-ups of 1,000%! :scream:

G
Thanks Gregorio.
I bought the Transparent Audio XLR cakes to match my speaker cables and it has been a huge upgrade to my sound.

May 6, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks Gregorio. I bought the Transparent Audio XLR cakes to match my speaker cables and it has been a huge upgrade to my sound.

I'd never heard of Transparent Audio cables before, but looking at their website they appear to be one of those retailers I warned about. Their cables certainly do NOT upgrade the sound quality compared to the Van Damme ones I suggested (although probably/hopefully they aren't audibly worse) but if you're happy to pay several/many times the price purely for their visual appearance, to match your speaker cables, that's of course entirely your choice.

Personally, if matching the visual appearance of interconnects and speaker cables was important to me, I'd have bought the Van Damme "Blue" speaker cables and the suggested Van Damme starquad interconnect (in blue) or for overkill, their "Black Series" speaker cables. Not only would it be far cheaper but I'd be assured of both durability/reliability AND sound quality that can't be bettered.

I realise you've already made your purchase but this *might* be of use to others.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back