No Depression ???
May 11, 2002 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rickfri

No longer lurking
I was browsing through Amazons "people who bought ----- also bought this" section on some recording atrtists that I like
in the country music field and came across a sub genre of country music called "No Depression" named after a CD by the group
Uncle Tupelo.
Some of the artists associated with this sub genre I've been listening to for years (Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Gillian
Welch, Emmylou Harris, Shaver, Gram Parsons, etc.), because they are not the run of the mill Nashville country artists. I have
also ordered some CD's by Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, and Wilco, and if I like them will probably try to get the rest.
What I would like to find out about is some of the other artists in this field like the Bottle Rockets, Old 97's, Whiskeytown,
Golden Smog, and any others. I've looked at the lists at Amazon, but I'm a little leery of taking someones advise when
their top 25 albums of all times are all in this genre. I think the people on this forum have a little broader range of
musical tastes and are probably better reviewers of music. I would also like to find out which of these CD's sound really
good on headphones.
I'm beginning to believe that the heart of rock is moving, or has already moved, into this field of alt country, and I am
missing out on some music that is better than what you see on the display racks at record stores.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 11, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by rickfri
What I would like to find out about is some of the other artists in this field like the Bottle Rockets, Old 97's, Whiskeytown,
Golden Smog, and any others.

No Depression is also called alt.country (Johnny Cash country music, not Garth Brooks!) or a million other names, none of which really accurately describe this broad genre. I like to consider it southern post-punk myself, since bands like the Replacements had a big effect on these bands as well.

I fall on the Jeff Tweedy side of the Uncle Tupelo issue, so I prefer Wilco's work to Son Volt's, but you can't go wrong with either. I think Anodyne was Uncle Tupelo's best album, Trace for Son Volt, and anything by Wilco. If you get the albums in order (A.M., Being There, Summerteeth, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) then you cover an incredible amount of musical distance. If you enjoy folk music, you would probably also like the two Mermaid Avenue CD's with Billy Bragg.

Old 97's - A fantastic band, wilder with a little more punk or bar band to them than Wilco or Whiskeytown. I highly recommend Too Far To Care, I think it's a greatly underrated record. The last two, Fight Songs and Satellite Rides are good too, but more pop sounding. I saw them last year in Nashville and they are great live.

Whiskeytown - I'm guessing you've heard of Ryan Adams, this was the band he led before going solo. I personally like Whiskeytown better than just Ryan Adams but many people I'm sure feel differently. They definitely have more of a Gram Parsons feel than his solo work.

Golden Smog - A supergroup composed of members of the Jayhawks, Wilco (Jeff Tweedy), Soul Asylum, Run Westy Run, and the Honeydogs. Down By the Old Mainstream is a great album. The second one (Weird Tales) is not quite as good, it sounds like they are trying too hard, and I haven't heard the first EP, but it features Chris Mars on drums.

Bottle Rockets, to be honest, I haven't heard much of them.

Another band I would add to your list is the Jayhawks, they are less southern, but no less great. I particularly like Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass.

They all sound fine on headphones to me; this music is too good to let any questions about sound quality turn you away.

I could go on and on, this is probably my favorite genre. A great website for any kind of music is the All-Music Guide (www.allmusic.com) Let me know what you think of the CD's when you get them!

Joe

May 11, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 6
secretagent44 is right on with UT, Wilco, and the Jayhawks, although to hold up the Jay Farrar side of post-Uncle Tupelo, Trace is fantastic and Straightaways quite good. His new solo project (Sebastopol) is also quite good and the weird mix of psychedelic keyboards with his alt.country foundation is a great listen for headphones.

I have heard good things about Freakwater, but I haven't heard them. Califone I have heard live, but not recorded.

doug

May 16, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 6
My favorite genre of music also. You really can't go wrong with any of the above suggestions. Check out www.bloodshotrecords.com lots of info on alt.country (or whatever you wanna call it). Old 97's, Bottle Rockets are on this label...Ryan Adams used to be. Also check out Waco Bros and Alejandro Escovedo...great stuff!

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Sorry not to have replied to the suggestions made for so long. Ordered up a bunch of the CD's and when I got them work got in the way of my listening to them. Thanks to all who made suggestions. I really liked the Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, and Wilco CD's on first listening. I also liked the Whiskeytown, especially Caitlin Cary (have ordered her solo CD's).
The Golden Smog, Old 97's, and the Jayhawks didn't make as immediate impression as the others, but they'll probably grow on me with repeated listening.
I also got some cd's by
Iris Dement - very good voice and some pretty good songs.
Kasey Chambers - some review called her the Australian Lucinda Williams. Don't know if I'd go that far but pretty good.
Trailer Bride - Couldn't resist the name. I kinda of like them.
Just so I wouldn't turn into a complete **** kicker I also picked up the new Etta James CD "Burnin' Down the House". It's really good, recorded live.
Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'm going to listen to everything a few more times and see what to try next.

Jun 9, 2002 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I use Paxil to treat depression. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back