No-cost tweaks?
Jul 31, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #16 of 28
Ok this tweak does wonders on my system i dunno if its the placebo effect or what but i dont care because i am loving the sound. OK place 3 hockey pucks under your cd player like a triangle and place some mass on top about 10 lbs or so, I went and grabbed my chess set box and put some rocks in there.
Guys try this out and tell me what you think. I dont think its totally in my head because the dealer recommended this to me when i bought my jolida. He said that the rubber in hockey pucks is excellent for vibration controls, and that placing mass on the cd player is a great idea as well.

I notice that the bass is more pronounced and the transition from the lows to highs is smoother as well, i dunno maybe i am insane..
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 28
I have my MD deck on top of my Arcam, would that count? I guess I need to remove the deck and see if I perceive a difference
rs1smile.gif

I have also experimented with turning off the display and I can not perceive any difference either. Perhaps with a different amp/IC combo.

CD..

Jul 31, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by neggy
He said that the rubber in hockey pucks is excellent for vibration controls, and that placing mass on the cd player is a great idea as well.

Hockey pucks make good, cheap isolation feet?

Hmmmm....

*makes note to swing by the sports store later today*

Aug 1, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 28
all purpose spit on your cds ...works everytime ....deeper base ...soundstage ...i think ill sell my spit ...and stereophile will put up a cover page review of my spit and it will be good..... jude will want me to lick his cds ...i will say no..not even his dsotm sacd .. bwhahaha

Aug 1, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #21 of 28
*mature self* your weird man....

Aug 1, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #22 of 28
Not exactly free, but have a beer or other alcoholic beverage just before and during listening. Makes you more relaxed and likely to groove along with the music instead of nitpicking your system.

Aug 1, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
Not exactly free, but have a beer or other alcoholic beverage just before and during listening. Makes you more relaxed and likely to groove along with the music instead of nitpicking your system.

i believe eric is underage!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

g

Aug 24, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #24 of 28
This may seem obvious, but if you are using headphones that encase the whole ear...after plopping them on your head and starting your music...gently rotate them around the ears till they feel centered. I always get an instant bump in the clarity of the sound when they are in their "sweet spot".
This has worked great for me with Senn 600s Senn 590s Senn 540s and Sony CD3Ks.

John

Aug 24, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

I always try to have something non-electronic on top of my CD player to reduce vibrations to a degree. Supposedly helps... I don't know, but it looks nice! I'll try to post pictures tonight or tomorrow (hooray for digital camera working again!).

try using a fat novel or two with a cool looking cover on top and some bubble wrap or packing foam underneath

for speakers arrange room for best balance of reflective and absorptive surfaces

too dull ?

open the curtains and add some pictures to the walls

too harsh ?

throw rugs , heavy drapes , throw pillows can help

and listen for buzzing or rattles

you would be surprised when you realize how many things in the room are activated by the system (my wife is still pissed about my removal of her mouse collection to the dining room
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Aug 24, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #26 of 28
Changing encoding over time from FhG 160 cbr to FhG cbr 192 to FhG vbr 192 to Lame --r3mix to Lame --aps to Lame --ape to Lame --api back to --aps to QT aac 160-320 back to --aps and finally FLAC (with --aps & 160-192 acc for iPod).

Aug 25, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #28 of 28
posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Quote:

If your speakers have spikes put slightly larger, or smaller spikes on to tilt the speakers at an upward, or downward angle, and see what happens.

YES! this works very well, especially if you're positioned a little bit above your speakers. i placed little rubber circles under my metal spikes under the two front corners of my Kefs, and just the two rubber circles without the metal spikes in the back two corners. this aims the speakers up directly at my ear level and into the bigger part of my room. and of course i don't aim them directly at me; the Kefs are toed-in only slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back