No budget headphones for classical
Apr 12, 2017 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Heiku

New Head-Fier
Yes, i have no budget. I am looking for best headphones for classical and instrumental that are easy to drive. I also listen to music with some bass so they can't be lacking What are your recommendations?

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 12
I love my Superlux HD-681 EVO's. I highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD681EVO-B-HD-681-Black/dp/B00CAG1ZAQ

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Beyerdynamic T51i is good if you are looking for an on-ear portable closed back.  Beyerdynamic dt990 is good for over-ear open back.  The dt990 comes in a variety of impedances, so pick a low impedance if you are not going to use an amp.

I use both for classical music and opera and they are relatively cheap (as far as headphones go.)  If you cannot afford them, you might consider waiting and saving up rather than spending your money on something that is not going to meet your needs.  

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 12
I use my Beyer DT 880 / 600 and also my Sennheiser HD 800. It depends upon my mood.

Unfortunately, they are not easy to drive.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 12
  Yes, i have no budget. I am looking for best headphones for classical and instrumental that are easy to drive. I also listen to music with some bass so they can't be lacking What are your recommendations?

IMO, there isn't one headphone that does a terrific job with all of the various
genres and types of classical music.

First thing is the nature of "classical" music.

We generally know what it is - though some of the more modern
composers stretch the limits - but defining it can become a problem
when it comes to headphones (and other audio gear).

An example: you're listening to a harpsichord sonata.
Or, perhaps, a string trio, or quartet.
Or a Handel aria.

Then, perhaps, you're listening to a Mahler or Bruckner symphony.
Or a solo piano piece by Liszt or Scriabin.

The point is: classical music is immensely varied [not to state the obvious :) ]
So if you generally enjoy, let's say, Baroque and certain Renaissance music -
you'll want to be looking at (and listening to) headphones that are very different
than those whose strength lies in the reasonably accurate reproduction of
very dynamic music, massed strings and voices.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 12
  Then, perhaps, you're listening to a Mahler or Bruckner symphony.
Or a solo piano piece by Liszt or Scriabin.

So true. And which Mahler symphony? Or which Bruckner symphony? Also, which orchestra and where was the orchestra recorded? You need to have a different headphone for each possibility.

Same goes for the piano pieces. Was the piece played on a Steinway, or a Bosendorfer? You can't use the same headphones for both.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 12

You might want to clarify how you phrased this because responses so far make it obvious that people aren't sure if "no budget" means "I have unlimited money and don't care about any limits" or if you meant "I actually have barely any money for this."

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 12
I'm assuming that you have a desktop setup, so here goes.

<$500: Sennheisser HD650, for the mellower times.
<$1000: Focal Elear, for the impactful symphonies.
<$1500: Sennheisser HD800, for the quiet detailed listen.
<$2000: Audeze LCD3, lush sounds of the concert hall.

I've used all these headphones professionally and also for pleasure & it's my end all at their respective price points. I'm not going into amps though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back