No budget for a high end CDP? A friend tipped me off to this...
Oct 25, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #76 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That isnt answering my question. The question isnt about any other video game console, it is about the PS1.

Wow, I thought the answer made it obvious...

YES! I have heard it. Apparently you and anyone else who believes there is ANYTHING special about it's playback have "Golden Ears", because you're hearing something I can't hear.

I'll say this once more, but I'm getting tired of repeating it... THIS WAS AN APRIL FOOL'S DAY PRANK!!! Doesn't anyone know anything about urban legends? Even the title of the thread sounds like one; all urban legends start out with some version of "A friend told me...". And they say it's the audiophiles who are the gullible ones
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #77 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I thought the answer made it obvious...
YES! I have heard it. Apparently you and anyone else who believes there is ANYTHING special about it's playback have "Golden Ears", because you're hearing something I can't hear.

Actually I never said that the PS1 was anything special. I said it was perfectly competent and compared well against my own modest sources I never implied in any way that it was the equivalent of a megabucks source. You really need to work on your critical reading skills.

Quote:

Quote:

There is no reason a cheap well designed unit cannot perform perfectly competently.

Quote:

My SCPH-1001 arrived yesterday. I dont have a megabucks machine to compare it with but it seems to be able to hold its own against my Marantz multichanger, ...but so far it seems perfectly competent

Quote:

Conclusion, perfectly listenable as a CD player... Doesnt do anything disturbing, probably not worth the $6000 in the sense that it wasnt detectably better than my Marantz but if (it) was a CD player and I had paid $100 - $200 for it I doubt I would be complaining.

Quote:

I spent a lot of sunday listening to the PS1. I have to say I was impressed with it. It certainly compares well with my modest sources. I started it up and got engaged with the music and it didnt get in the way at all......

One thing I did (seem to) notice a few times was a *very* slight channel imbalance, only noticeable at lowish volumes (I dont know if that is a known issue) , now if I had paid $6000 for it or even $300 or $200 I would be sending it back for that - at $20 who cares
biggrin.gif

Actually you are the one hearing things, you are hearing a difference between the PS1 and whatever else you have, I by contrast, am not hearing a difference. Does not hearing a difference give me golden ears, dunno ?

Quote:

I'll say this once more, but I'm getting tired of repeating it... THIS WAS AN APRIL FOOL'S DAY PRANK!!! Doesn't anyone know anything about urban legends? Even the title of the thread sounds like one; all urban legends start out with some version of "A friend told me...". And they say it's the audiophiles who are the gullible ones
wink.gif

Is someone who buys a $20 source , believing it is the equivalent of a $6000 source and is perfectly happy with it more gullible than someone who buys a $6000 source and is perfectly happy with it, dunno ?, but I know who has more left to spend on CDs
biggrin.gif

If I should (and I dont) want to fool myself into thinking that a $20 from ebay PS1 is a high quality source (it might be though, but that is neither here nor there) why should you care ?. It is not as if you are protecting me from wasting a load of money, rather if you reccomend to me that I buy a $6000 source , I may not actually be any happier with it and I am definitely $5980 worse off...

From one of my favourite little movies

Of course, he carried it a bit too far. He thought that every windmill was a giant. That's insane. But, thinking that they might be... Well, all the best minds used to think the world was flat. But, what if it isn't? It might be round. And bread mold might be medicine. If we never looked at things and thought of what they might be, why, we'd all still be out there in the tall grass with the apes

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #78 of 100
Quote:

I'll say this once more, but I'm getting tired of repeating it... THIS WAS AN APRIL FOOL'S DAY PRANK!!!

Yes, but as usual the self-proclaimed know-it-alls that call themselves audiophiles didn't know what they were talking about. There really is something different about how a PS1 reads CDs vs. a typical "high end" CD player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #79 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably a dumb question, but related to your point: I've read that PS1's had to be modded in order to read CD-R's, i.e. ripped games (and music, presumably). So is the stock CD-ROM drive a "normal" unit? Or something different.

That hack is to get around the PS1 hardware that checks the "special" part of the CD for Sony's copy protection on game discs. They can read CD-Rs for audio playback without the modification.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #81 of 100
Quote:

Actually I never said that the PS1 was anything special. I said it was perfectly competent and compared well against my own modest sources I never implied in any way that it was the equivalent of a megabucks source. You really need to work on your critical reading skills.

Look, man, I'm not trying to start a fight with you. I thought I gave a pretty obvious answer, so I assumed you were just toying with me.

No big deal... stuff happens
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #82 of 100
Quote:

Even the title of the thread sounds like one; all urban legends start out with some version of "A friend told me...". And they say it's the audiophiles who are the gullible ones
wink.gif

FWIW, I didn't post this thread as any type of prank or urban legend. Maybe you guys could provide a link to this april fool's gag you're claiming.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #83 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seidhepriest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um... Does it need a TV set to be controllable?

No, but it makes it a bit easier, I have mine plugged into a cheapo 5" LCD TV I got from eBay for $40 - doubles as screen for my DVD player.

I havent found a way to pause it without the onscreen menu.

I have been looking for confirmation that the PS1 as HiFi was an April Fool jape. I havent been able to find it so far. Though amusingly I did find this 1998 post on RAO - long before the purported jape where a chap describes how his "modified" PS1 compares with some high end sources. It is of course wholly anecdotal and thus I post it for amusement purposes only. I have no reason to suppose the poster posted it as a joke and in fact he does defend his position throughout the thread.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...c0c455e2c430dc

Go back to post #1 for the whole discussion

Since nobody seems interested in trying this for themselves I will just keep it...

Nov 9, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #85 of 100
A real cd player or transporter is necessary..

BTW:My ps2 sounds terrible..

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #86 of 100
I am late on responding to this thread ,and I have been reading through the pages of the arguments and I think this thread is the best one yet.My conclusion to this is that no matter how much you spend on a high end audiophile piece of equipment,be it a cdp,TT,cartridge,tone arm,amp or whatever else you can think of,there is always something about five to ten times cheaper that sounds almost and or the same as the desireable pricey equipment that the average person may not ever buy or even get to hear. LL

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #87 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by double LL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am late on responding to this thread ,and I have been reading through the pages of the arguments and I think this thread is the best one yet.My conclusion to this is that no matter how much you spend on a high end audiophile piece of equipment,be it a cdp,TT,cartridge,tone arm,amp or whatever else you can think of,there is always something about five to ten times cheaper that sounds almost and or the same as the desireable pricey equipment that the average person may not ever buy or even get to hear. LL

You might be amused to visit Matrix-HiFi - in it they do a blind test between an Oracle CD player (12,000 euros) and a Pioneer DVD player (200 euros ) their testers do not find an audible difference between them.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #88 of 100
Quote:

You might be amused to visit Matrix-HiFi - in it they do a blind test between an Oracle CD player (12,000 euros) and a Pioneer DVD player (200 euros ) their testers do not find an audible difference between them.

I will say especialy with the digital equpment from what I have been hearing through the years as far as opinions are concerned because I have never listened to a 8 gazillion dollar cd player,it is getting harder to tell the difference between the average priced items and the high end machines with the super glossy finish with more electronic "GUTS".It may make more of a difference with some of the analog equipment for various reasons.LL

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #89 of 100
Interestingly enough, I used a PS1 as my CD player for years back in my no money teenage days.
Don't know how audiophile it is but I loved the sound at the time, when it broke and I replaced it with a 'proper' cd player there was no particular improvement.

Might try to pick one up again, check it out, plus I get to play 'Parapa The Rapper' again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #90 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by skellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interestingly enough, I used a PS1 as my CD player for years back in my no money teenage days.
Don't know how audiophile it is but I loved the sound at the time, when it broke and I replaced it with a 'proper' cd player there was no particular improvement.

Might try to pick one up again, check it out, plus I get to play 'Parapa The Rapper' again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe I need to find a Sony playstation 1,I think my daughter has one.She's in college,I'll ask her if I can borrow it and I will give my honest opinion of it ,but that will be a while before I can get around to that.HeyEVERYBODY,lets get the PL1.C'mon why not?We can save thosands of dollars,pounds,pecos euros,and hours of back breaking work?LL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back