No budget for a high end CDP? A friend tipped me off to this...
Oct 3, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #46 of 100
Yes! I just looked up the Sony S7700 on eBay, and as you said, they are dirt cheap, and what is more, impressive. I'm going to check the dimensions, and if it will set well on top of my Sony DAC, I may just get one. Thanks for the tip!

Laz

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #47 of 100
I'm waiting for Kramer's impressions
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, I asked this early but no response was given; do the remodeled PS1's perform the same as the older ones? Maybe no one knows
blink.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #48 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting for Kramer's impressions
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, I asked this early but no response was given; do the remodeled PS1's perform the same as the older ones? Maybe no one knows
blink.gif

I don't know the answer, but the one I'm using is the 5501 with the AV-out audio cable. The older one is supposed to be "better" but this model still sounds damn good.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #49 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's common sense. I don't have to race Carl Lewis to know that he will win the race.. PS-1 better then a 2000-10,000 CDP? I heard my PS1 play CD's it was nice, but nothing special.. But I never heard the 'special' PS1 that rivals Hi end CDPers..
blink.gif

It's not common sense if that common sense is based on a faulty belief that something can't be wildly overpriced in terms of its realistic increase in performance.

In other words, if those high end players don't really sound that much better, "common sense" may actually be just being brainwashed by advertising (Carl Lewis may actually be me, and I'm DAMN non-speedy). See Bose as an example.

However, in your case, you've actually heard the PS1 as a CD player, so it's great to have your input. Have you compared it to a mutli-thousand CD player on similar equipment?

I think I sold or gave away my PS-1, darn it.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #51 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Common sense tells scientists that the bumble bee can't fly. Our forefathers said the same about aeroplanes and helicopters.
Common sense also tells me that that the U$50K Zanden DAC with its TDA1543 NOS IC can't be better sounding than a far more modern chipped DAC. But some people disagree.

I accept fully that price sells. But your 2000-10,000 CDP laser, CD mechanism, and DAC circuit cost less than U$200 in terms of components cost from the component, laser, and mechanism manufacturers: guaranteed.

Nope, a philips pro laserunit sells for 200 alone. The best teac drive/laserunit is even more expensive.

So, you're guestimate is way off.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #53 of 100
Yup my transport mechanism alone (TEAC Esoteric's VRDS Neo) would be ~6k by itself. (It's the solid steel version not the lesser version they've licensed out to Wadia/dCs, but that version is also several thousand by itself)

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #55 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the logic people are using in here is exactly why Bose is the number 1 rated name in audiophilia today.

Hahahaah thats pretty good.

I have to say though that this post intrigued me abit, so I decided to dig out ye 'ol PS1 and give it a go. (was one of the first ones out, bought it first day just as an added note) And I have to say I was just BLOWN AWAY!!!!!......by how horrible it sounded.... Im sorry but this isn't true, the thing sounded muddy as hell, the highs were severly rolled off, the mids recessed, and dont even ask about bass. Im sorry but this thing didn't even stand a chance to even my crappy ol 100 Philips DVD player, let alone my Rotel. Maybe it is true for some newer revisions of the PS1 I don't know, but I seriously doubt that. And calling it a masterpiece of engineering.......well thats just plan dumb. I'll just stick to vinyl.... Thats just my 2 cents though.
plainface.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #56 of 100
'Masterpiece of engineering' (or 'marvel', 'wonder', etc.) seems to be a term thrown around liberally in this hobby.

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #58 of 100
My SCPH-1001 arrived yesterday. I dont have a megabucks machine to compare it with but it seems to be able to hold its own against my Marantz multichanger, I will try and do some critical listening over the weekend but so far it seems perfectly competent though without a display its usability isnt brilliant.

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #59 of 100
I have the model 1001, and have modded it using these articles as a guide:
http://www.dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html Being a terminal DIY guy (tweak geek?), it's been a blast 'fooling' with it, without worrying about fouling up an expensive piece. Is it an end-all source? Probably not. Should it be considered as a replacement for a high-end player? Dunno. Ah ain't that smawrt, en Ah dun't gots nuthin' what yew'd call hah-eyund to cumpair it tew. To me, it is what it is: something fun to mess with and call my own.
cool.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #60 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
" accept fully that price sells. But your 2000-10,000 CDP laser, CD mechanism, and DAC circuit cost less than U$200 in terms of components cost from the component, laser, and mechanism manufacturers: guaranteed."

So?

The chemicals, molecules, and H2O that make up Jennifer Aniston's body cost roughly the same as those that make up my dog's. Yet one is beautiful and the other, while still nice, is a dog.

Some people, for whatever reason, prefer dogs.

ROFLMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back