No Beats! Over (around) the ear Headphones for <$200
Oct 2, 2014 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

AnotherName2Trk

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone- I've been here a number of times, and this is my 1st post!

Ok, here's the scoop, I won a pair of Beats Studio Wireless and couldn't stand them. Couldn't really tell you why, I thought my Koss UR 40s were pretty close and the Beats weren't very comfortable. I have a big head and wear glasses.. so no matter what, the beats fashion Phones won't help much 
biggrin.gif
. Thus, I just put them on Craigslist.

So, if I were to spend $175 or less on over the ear phones, any thoughts? I've looked at the ATH M50s. They look a little bulky, but everyone seems to really like them. Any brands that I might not be aware of I should consider? Yamaha, V-Moda or anything?

These will sit on my office desk, connect to my computer, and not travel.

Let me know your thoughts!
- Bill

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 18
Great! Thanks for the quick help. I looked at the Beyerdynamic DT770 and they come in different sizes (250 Ohm, 32 Ohm, etc). What is that and does it matter? The more comfortable the better. I'm at my computer all day and where headphones for 8hrs a day (the room is warm too). I know they're garbage, but wow.. the comfort of the Koss UR40 were great. Like I wasn't wearing anything.

Thx!

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 18
https://www.buysonic.com/products/akg-k545/

akg k545. very solid $300 pair of headphones discounted to $170ish. one left in stock.

note buysonic is a flashsale site, so no refunds unless defective product but you still get original warranty.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm here to help hah, well reviews say they are basically the same, I have owned them for about a year before giving them to a friend for studio work, and the soundstage is very closed sounding yet the detail and bass is fantastic for the price, so I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger on those. The other closed fun sounding cans are the vmoda LP and LP2, you can also look those up.

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 18
I have M50 and M50x they're essentially the same, slightly different sound but the biggest difference is the ear pads they are softer with not as cheap pleather on them with the M50x, so if you're gonna be wearing them for long periods then it'd probably be worth it. Also different cables are nice. I don't think either are very comfortable tho, so I think the Beyer DT770 is the better buy. Better yet is Sony MDR-1R which is going for much less than the original msrp of $300. And they are supremely comfortable and sound better than M50 too (IMO)

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 18
Just to check in, most people aren't huge fans of Bose? Specifically, the Bose AE2i. I put those on once long ago at an airport electronics store and they are extremely comfortable.

Thanks for all the guidance. The MDR-1R and DT77s look comfy. Thanks for all the leads!

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 18
the sony mdr-1r are extremely comfortable and very discounted nowadays. I liked them. they are releasing a new version soon btw. mdr-1ra or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back