No avatar replace with random avatar?
May 6, 2010 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

odigg

500+ Head-Fier
On the older system I never uploaded (or wanted) an avatar.  With this new system my avatar is an IQube.

Is this a mistake?  Is the IQube the default avatar now?  Is this a new way to advertise products?

I'd like to know so I can upload my own avatar if I need to since I don't even like the IQube!

May 6, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 8
Well I'm replying to my own thread since I got my answer.

It seems like the forum now picks a random avatar if you don't pick one.  I don't really like this feature but it's a minor quibble since I can pick my own avatar.  What does bug me is that my avatar is a product I don't even like!  If we have to pick an avatar, why not have a few avatars that just say "Head-Fi" or something along those lines.

Again, it's a minor quibble.  The admins must be going through a lot sorting the site out and I do appreciate all the work that goes into Head-Fi.

May 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 8
My random avatar is a Shure headphone.  I wish I could at least pick a product I own.

May 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Yep, it would be nice to pick a product we like or own if we have to pick something.  I just replaced mine with a random puppy.  Who doesn't like puppies? :)

May 6, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 8
This whole new forum is a elaborate scheme to add more advertising, coated with a "new look" to make people think it actually is worth it.  Don't lie to yourself, this is what is happening.  I don't think anyone can deny it.

Head-fi is officially a marketplace now, not a discussion area.

And btw, I wanna buy your puppy :wink:

May 7, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 8
My avatar is a single white pixel for now until I can think something up. Mine was an iQube as well- strange choice for a default avatar.
confused_face_2.gif

Edit: Make that a single white pixel that was automatically scaled to a white box by the forum software. Buy one pixel, get 9,999 free!

May 7, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 8
This platform currently requires avatars; so for users who didn't have them, they got a randomly assigned one. But you can upload your own image right from your user profile. Just click "My Profile" and you'll see a "Replace Image" button below your current iQube image.

Since the system was going to dole out avatars to those without one, I just picked images out of my Flickr account, most of which I took myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back