Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD with Parreaux SHX1
Mar 1, 2004 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Finalrinse

Head-Fier
Does any one have this combination? Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD with Parreaux SHX1. I may be interested in this source if I can find some feedback on how well they work together.
Thanks!

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Finalrinse
Ok, how about just the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with the upsampling board?

I looked up that player and it looks nice, but I haven't seen it mentioned around here, so I'm guessing not too many people have heard it. If you like, you can do an advanced search for members who list it as a source they own and PM them.

Mar 3, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 10
I own a Super Tjoeb 4000 with 192 kHz/24 bits upsampling. I use it in a headphone setup with a Meier Audio Corda Prehead headphone amplifier. If you intend on buying a Njoe Tjoeb with upsampling card, be prepared for a long "burn-in" of the player. My player still sounds a bit aggressive and sharp in the treble after more than 200 hours playtime. That is supposed to smooth out according to other owners. And then I even use it with the smooth sounding Sennheiser HD 650 headphones with Equinox replacement cable.

If you buy a Njoe Tjoeb you also have the opportunity to roll different tubes. So far, Mullard E88CC and Philips E188CC SQ sounded best in my system. I have read that Perreaux is smooth sounding, so it should match well with Njoe Tjoeb.

Even though my Tjoeb is almost new, it still bests my modified Marantz CD6000 OSE LE player. Huge 3D soundstage, layered midrange with REAL voices, impeccable rhythm and pacing. The only weakness is the slight lack of impact and slam in the bass, even though bass is far from lacking with HD 650 headphones. Tube rolling also changes the sound fairly much. The stock tubes, Jan/Philips Military NOS tubes are somewhat grainy, two dimensional and lack bass weight. Midrange is really sweet with these tubes though.

Mar 3, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 10
I guess you are hard pressed to find a better player in this price range. The cd player feels a bit weak and is light, due to the Marantz CD4000 chassis it's built around.

I shortly compared it to my Philips 963SA which also has upsampling, and the Tjoeb is more detailed and musical. But the Philips is incredibly good for the price still!

Mar 6, 2004 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 10
Ok, I ordered a Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with the Upsampler board. I plan on leaving it on playing music continuously for a few weeks for burn-in. My other pieces could use the burn-in too since they are also new. 3 weeks = 504 hrs. Now I finally have a complete headphone listening system, and looking forward to many hours of listening to my CD collection dating back to 1985 when I bought my first CD. In fact I remember the first CD I bought in 1985, Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits. It was the last LP and first CD I purchased. Maybe I should play that one first. Thanks everyone! Because of all of you this is what I have.
Perreaux SXH-1 amp
AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player w/Upsampling board
Denon DVD2200 SACD DVD-Audio
Sennheiser HD650 headphones
ZuMobius cables for Senn's
M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PC card
iPod 40Gb
You can be sure I will let everyone know how the Njoeb Tjoeb 4000 sounds before and after burn-in.
600smile.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 10
Yes, Brothers In Arms is a high quality CD, at least it used to be. I started buying CD's recently and most of them aren't the same quality as the originals. They claim to be remastered, but many times they turn the gain up too high to increase volume, and cause slight distortion. I don't know if its carelessness or they are trying to acheive some other effect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back