Nitty Gritty 2.5 vs. VPI 16.5
Jun 12, 2005 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
The title says it all. Which is better? Thanks!
biggrin.gif

-Andrew

Jun 12, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 9
I've owned the VPI 16.5 and the Nitty Gritty Record Doctor II and they both had their pluses and minuses. I thought I could scrub records easier with the nitty gritty being it was bi-directional/spun by me, but I didn't like that I'd have to then flip it over to vacume that side (I think thats the case on all nitty gritty models). The 16.5 was easier to use and more convient, but I odn't know if it cleaned any better.

FWIW I just bought another nitty gritty record doctor 2 this morning because to me it wasn't worth the additional cost of the 16.5 (i'd sold my 16.5 a couple months ago to help fund a meridian g08)

Jun 12, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
I've owned the VPI 16.5 and the Nitty Gritty Record Doctor II and they both had their pluses and minuses. I thought I could scrub records easier with the nitty gritty being it was bi-directional/spun by me, but I didn't like that I'd have to then flip it over to vacume that side (I think thats the case on all nitty gritty models). The 16.5 was easier to use and more convient, but I odn't know if it cleaned any better.

FWIW I just bought another nitty gritty record doctor 2 this morning because to me it wasn't worth the additional cost of the 16.5 (i'd sold my 16.5 a couple months ago to help fund a meridian g08)

So if you're short on cash, is it worth waiting to get the VPI machine? To you, it seems it is not.

And btw, where did you get a record doctor 2?
Thanks!
-Andrew

Jun 12, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Amen,

My vinyl collection is not as expansive as I'd like it to be, so for me the convience of a semi-automatic machine really isn't worthwhile. I know some head-fiers will swear by the 16.5, but in my expereince, as long as I'm using good cleaning solvents, good brushes, and clean vacum strips, the nitty gritty is a gem.

I was actually lucky enough to buy a local Record Doctor 2 for less then a hundred bucks on audiogon, so it should arrive in the mail tuesday if he ships tomorrow.

Fred

P.S. Whatever record cleaner you get, buy used--they're extreemly liquid on the used market and if it turns out you wish you had automatic, really don't care about having to spin the record yourself, etc. you can always make your money back and try a different unit.

Jun 12, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 9
amen,

I can't cite my sources, but many have prefered semi-automatic/manual over fully automatic machines. I think tuberoller for instance sold a 17f to buy 2 16.5s because he thought he could clean them better putting in some elbow grease and the additional luxury was at the expense of quality.

If the nitty gritty your pondering can spin the disc both ways, I'd probably go for that with your collection (my collection is probably still <500). But thats may just be me being anal and trusting myself to scrub more then a machine to drag a brush.

Im not sure you can go wrong with either machine and both will probably be pretty liquid should you decide to try a different cleaner.

Fred

P.S. I've read a lot of people saying the 16.5s build quality is nice online. I thought it was ugly and not that well built myself... about the same level as the record doctor.

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 9
I had rented a VPI 17 machine and now own the VPI 16.5

I defenently do prefer the 16.5 over the 17. On the 16.5 you have to apply some ellbowgrease to clean the record, which I think is better. Also adding a cooling fan to the 18.5 is highly recommended.

I never used a Nitty Gritty so I can't say much about it.

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 9
I have only ever seen the VPI machines in pictures. The Nitty Gritty products with which I have some experience do everything I could want them to. The more control I have over the process, the better I feel about consistent results. YMMV.

NGF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back