nissan altima
Aug 3, 2004 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

RobertR

100+ Head-Fier
thinking of buying new car and at the same time wondering what kind of audio nirvana i could have if I continue to drive my kia gas guzzlin van.
any ideas about the nissan altima?

Aug 3, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 15
My GF has an '04 Altima, with the 4-cylinder and automatic. It is a very nice car, and handles well for it's size. Acceleration is decent but nothing to write home about, same with the brakes. It has a very nice ride, even going down the freeway at 80+MPH. The AC is pretty cold, but not antarctic, and the stereo sounds pretty good for a stock in-car rig. The controls are all very nicely laid out and easy to work. The looks are a bit OTT for me (at least for a family sedan) but oh well. It gets my seal of approval, i.e. I would buy one for a reasonable price if I needed such a car, pending comparison to competitors, of course.

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 15
Forget the new smell. Forget the snazzy styling. Forget the new paint. Forget the newer stereo.....

Think not of the new payments. Think not of the old car. Don't reason yourself into a new one if you don't need one.

Think ONLY of the tax you will pay on the new car. How much Head-Fi would that buy? Can you live without that till the Altima is paid off?

Now, think of when the van is paid off. How much money does that free up?

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 15
I have the '05 Altima 2.5S with Automatic Tranny. It has been 2 months since I bought it, and I am pretty happy about my choice. The acceleration of the car is perhaps the best in the price range.. (at least for family sedans with auto trannys). I test drove the Honda Accord LX-EX, V4-V6, and unless you are ready to plonk down >$26k for the Accord, there is not another car that would give you as much fun driving.. For ~$20k there is no car that offers more bang for buck. The only drawback is the lack of ABS, and hence slightly mushy brakes.. A lot of car for the price.

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Last week, I checked out the Infiniti I35....255 horsepower Z-car engine, 4 speed auto-stick transmission, 6-disc CD changer, 4 airbags, 4 channel ABS, leather and power everything, power sunroof, power sunshade in the back window, etc....brand new for $26,900. Yes, the I35 will be phased out at the end of the year, but it's heck of a bargain. Think of the resale value of an Infiniti.

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 15
Try buying a bar that is a few years old. You can save a lot of money. Because the car is a few years old, you might be able to find useful reliability data that has been collected over the years.

Aug 3, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 15
the altima i looked at had a list of 26k with everything on it including gps, a bose sound system whatever thats worth Anyway the van is paid for and i probably will pay cash unless i get o% financing.. My son has an 95 altima with 110k miles and still doesnt use oil & the only repair was radiator. My college buddy(a nuclear physicist who does unbelievable research before making any decision) got a 2002 altima.He walks into a dealer with a 100+ page notebook. When the salesman eyed him he said 'your from los alamos arent you'.
Thanks to all and hope more altima or scion owners will log in. Going to chack out the Scion also.

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertR
the altima i looked at had a list of 26k with everything on it including gps, a bose sound system whatever thats worth

So you are looking at Altima V6. That's a fast car! That V6 (VQ35) is smooth and powerful, excellent engine. One of the best among the world.

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 15
just test drove a scion with a lot of extras for 18.5k about 8k less than the altima. I know once i drive the nissan the scion will take 2nd place. The scion is really a lot of car for the money ,handles well and is one neat way to get from pt. a to pt.b.
I still think about what 8k could buy in headfi gear.

Help me decide like you did when I bought headphones and an amp.

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 15
$18K for a Scion??

Around here, I can pick up a brand-new 2004 Accord LX with auto transmission for under $19K. Or a new 2004 Accord EX with auto transmission for under $22K. I would think the Accord would be a more comfortable and safer car than the Scion.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 15
heh funny you should say.

Maxima.org is my other home.. as well as my350z.com, altimas.net, and maximaracing.org. Guess which car i drive ? : P

I have a 5.5 gen (2002 ) max, 6 speed, i modded it a bit. I absolultely love the car. The altima is the closest thing your going to get to my car now, because the new maxima is lame. I'd definatly consider a g35 though if you can afford it with a few options, but the altima with 3.5 vq is a great car to consider. Check out some of those sites if your curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back