Nirvana Unplugged?
Oct 29, 2001 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

coolvij

Board geriatric
I was listening to some mp3s of Nirvana: MTV Unplugged, and I REALLY like it.

Just wondering if there are any albums like Nirvana Unplugged.....

Thanx in advance.

Oct 29, 2001 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 25
Are you asking if there are any albums like the album Nirvana - Unplugged in New York? Cause I can think of at least one.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2001 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 25
Look no further than the neighboring thread! Alice In Chains Unplugged is also quite good. Vocals and instruments are very cleanly executed, and the detail you hear from the acoustic guitars - well they're very forward in presentation. I love Layne Staley's voice, but YMMV. Great songwriting, and great drummer. I recommend it.

Dayaamn, mcbiff. By the looks of your cd list, you're very loyal to your bands.

Oct 29, 2001 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 25
I'm unsure which question you are asking: (1) Are there other nirvanna records that sound like their unplugged album
or (2) other artists who sound like nirvanna unplugged? Maybe you are interested in both, so:

(1) Some of the songs on the unplugged album are on their first two albums in "plugged" versions. If you don't have "Bleach", their first album, it wouldn't be a bad purchase and, I think, is slightly better than "Nevermind". Anyway, I think Nirvanna displays a consistent sensibility soundwise and if you like the unplugged stuff (which I think is some of their best recorded stuff) you'll probably like their other stuff. Don't be put off by the huge pop success of "Nevermind".

(2) On the unplugged album Nirvanna covers songs by Leadbelly, the Meat Puppets, David Bowie, and, i think, the Vaselines (I'm not sure about the Vaselines on the uplugged album--I know they covered them elsewhere). So, you could check those guys out as well.

Well, this is just off the top of my head. If you'd like, I'll think about it some and respond again later.

take care.

Oct 29, 2001 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 25
mcbiff: I'm am talkin about Unplugged in New York......WHAT IS THE ALBUM YOU'RE THINKING OF!?!?!?!
biggrin.gif

Galileo's Dad: Nice sn.
biggrin.gif
And.....1 + 2.

Thanx for the recs, all, and.......please, give more
biggrin.gif

I'll get back to you after my next trip to the CD shop.

cool.gif

Oct 29, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 25
Wooo! I love Nirvana. Especially Nirvana's Unplugged album. I found it very sibilant on most tracks, though.. I'm curious as to how you found the sibilance on that recording... If you don't mind sharing, ofcourse..
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 25
yeah that's one great album. I've seen it on tv as well, really adds something. gonna need to pick it up once tho!
smily_headphones1.gif

*adds another disc to the to-buy-when-finished-with-DIY-related-madness-list*
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2001 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 25
Xander: If you were asking ME - well, I was just listening to MP3s on my comp. (SB Live! 16 bit TO Polk Audio came-with-its....).

No sibilance here..........well, no treble, mids, or bass, either......
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2001 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 25
I'm waiting for money. Donate to the Vij Fund. A "For-Vij's-Profit" org.......founded by Vij. To help maintain his happiness.

rolleyes.gif

Oct 30, 2001 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 25
I don't notice any excessive sibilance on Nivana Unplugged, and believe me sibilance is one defect that has me running and screaming for the door. I love that album and it's incredibly well-recorded (as are most of the unplugged concerts). I think in a recent survey I named my favorite song of the 90s Kurt's cover of the Meat Puppets "Lake of Fire" on the album. Screw the MP3s, that's a must-buy album!

Oct 30, 2001 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 25
I know.....there are SOOOO many must-buy albums, tho.

Xander:
biggrin.gif
LOL!

Oct 30, 2001 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
I don't notice any excessive sibilance on Nivana Unplugged, and believe me sibilance is one defect that has me running and screaming for the door. I love that album and it's incredibly well-recorded (as are most of the unplugged concerts). I think in a recent survey I named my favorite song of the 90s Kurt's cover of the Meat Puppets "Lake of Fire" on the album. Screw the MP3s, that's a must-buy album!

OH NO. Theres no sibilance on that album for you? What amp do you have? What headphones? What headphone amp? I WANT IT NOW.

That is the most sibilant CD i own.. What gives.
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Oct 30, 2001 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 25
What CD PLAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYERRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I've been waiting for someone to jump out that has the same album as me, and say YO DUDE, THERES NO SIBILANCE.. Now I know it's not the recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back