Nirvana Nevermind 96/24 on HDtracks
Oct 2, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #18 of 50
It might be a scheme by Courtney Love to come out with another remastered version when she's in her sixties once again strapped for cash.

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #19 of 50
Courtney Love made Nirvana what it was anyway.  They were just posers. 

eek.gif

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #20 of 50
Wish I would have read this before I bought it. I always liked this album and was reading in an article on the loudness war how this album was about 8 db lower on average compared to some the stuff by the end of the 90's. Then I saw the 24/96 version on HD tracks and was like awesome. The samples sounded good, then bam compression in HD.

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #21 of 50

Quote:
Wish I would have read this before I bought it. I always liked this album and was reading in an article on the loudness war how this album was about 8 db lower on average compared to some the stuff by the end of the 90's. Then I saw the 24/96 version on HD tracks and was like awesome. The samples sounded good, then bam compression in HD.

Sorry for your loss....

One of the reasons I go through all this trouble is to help people make better, informed decisions. Best thing you can do is tell other people about it and spread the word.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 50
I have all their discography in normal CD since i am 15,then i downloaded their 24/96 from hdtracks as well, and although i don`t know what brickwall means ,sorry for that, i am very happy ,there is really a big difference!!When Dave Grohl start it`s drums in SLTS my i was 
eek.gif
!!
Salute

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #24 of 50
I have all their discography in normal CD since i am 15,then i downloaded their 24/96 from hdtracks as well, and although i don`t know what brickwall means ,sorry for that, i am very happy ,there is really a big difference!!When Dave Grohl start it`s drums in SLTS my i was :eek: !!
Salute

Time to educate yourself. Wiki link here.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:
I have all their discography in normal CD since i am 15,then i downloaded their 24/96 from hdtracks as well, and although i don`t know what brickwall means ,sorry for that, i am very happy ,there is really a big difference!!When Dave Grohl start it`s drums in SLTS my i was 
eek.gif
!!
Salute

That's ok.  If you like it, that's fine.  I have some of the original cd's not remastered, and they aren't all full of clipping.  I prefer them.  But the HDTracks ARE 24/96, even if they are brickwalled, so that is the diff. you are hearing.

PS-you got some nice equipment!  Do you use the Hooka?
wink_face.gif
Nevermind that's not yours.  Duh.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #26 of 50
Thanks for the link ,Enoyin ,i have been reading that article quite a few times,but never associated with this term.
To be honest i don`t know if those cd i have come from a remixed versions ,i am going to check them -haven`t listened them for a while-,but sure the HDTracks is more lively,better instruments separation and definition,to me at least..i never understand why many remixed versions sound worse then the original ones,why are those remixed version suppose do achieve,though?

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:
Thanks for the link ,Enoyin ,i have been reading that article quite a few times,but never associated with this term.
To be honest i don`t know if those cd i have come from a remixed versions ,i am going to check them -haven`t listened them for a while-,but sure the HDTracks is more lively,better instruments separation and definition,to me at least..i never understand why many remixed versions sound worse then the original ones,why are those remixed version suppose do achieve,though?

Well, honestly, remasters are supposed to sell more albums.  They are just a money making marketing tool.  The reason they sound worse is the loudness wars aluded to in that link above...  If you got those when you were fifteen, even though I don't have the slightest idea how old you are, I would guess they are originals.  You can look at the waveform yourself with Audacity.  It is fairly easy to use, just rip the track you want to see (using another program) and then use the open feature in the toolbar.  Press ok at the prompt and it will load. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #28 of 50
why are those remixed version suppose do achieve,though?

Money is the answer to a lot of things in a capitalist society. It's entirely possible that the HDtracks version sounds better than the original. I don't own the HDtrack version myself so I can't make that judgement.

To explain the term brickwall for future reference here are some pictures:

First up is Don't know why by Norah Jones. While this may not be the best mastering ever it shows what a waveform should look like. You can clearly see peaks. Some parts are louder while other parts are softer.

Next is Low by Foo Fighters. There is hardly any difference between the louder parts and the soft parts making the waveform look like a brick wall.

I realize that I compared a rock song to a jazz/ folk song which may not be exactly the fairest thing to do, but even a rock song should have certain parts which are louder (snare drum for instance) and parts which, in comparison, aren't that loud. (someone singing or a guitar)

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #29 of 50
Quote:
Money is the answer to a lot of things in a capitalist society. It's entirely possible that the HDtracks version sounds better than the original. I don't own the HDtrack version myself so I can't make that judgement.

No way...no how.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #30 of 50
No LFF?So , the original Never Mind is actually better then the HD remastering?I come at the conclusion that my Version of Never Mind is not the original one,because i can clearly hear that the HD tracks is better.Disappointment 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back