Nirvana...MTV Unplugged..
Nov 24, 2002 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Just finished watching this on VH1. VH- friggin' 1. I suppose I should have expected it by now...

Nevertheless.. damn, makes you sad about the current state of rock music. All that's left of rock 'n roll is a leftover from Nirvana, and those copycat bands can't hold a candle to the original... Totally compelling and REAL...

Can't wait for the forthcoming re-mastered box set sometime in 2003...

Mark

Nov 24, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 10
Sorry try 2004 for the box-set. In 2003 its going to be a rarities disk... lets hope for some good unreleased tunes.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would really like to see all of Bleach remastered, I won't buy it until it is.

And I think Unplugged in New York has set the standard for acoustic performances.

Biggie.

Nov 24, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Agreed. Nirvana's unplugged is excellent, i also think AIC's unplugged is incredible. Go hunt down some Nirvana bootlegs, i've been downloading video concerts from Nirvana lately
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 10
How about a Nirvana Unplugged DVD? Are there plans for this any time soon?

Nov 24, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 10
It's an incredibly raw and powerful performance. You can literally feel Cobain's physical and emotional pain through his subtle vocal inflections. It's also the last public appearance he made.

The state of mainstream music in general has been depressing since then, hasn't it?

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 10
I'll never forget the time when I had Nirvana Unplugged on (kinda loud) in my living room while I was working on my computer in my bedroom. I had never really watched it before

"Where Did You Sleep Last Night" came on and I couldn't believe the passion coming through. I sprinted from the bedroom to the living room to see it. That peformance shakes me to the core every time I hear it.

Nov 24, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 10
"Where Did You Sleep Last Night" is probably my favorite song from that session. It really is an amazing, emotionally raw performance.

MTV Unplugged in New York really set Nirvana apart from other bands from the period. It's exactly the sort of material I would not have wanted to find on a Nirvana album, but without it Kurt, Krist, and Dave could just as well have been the Def Leppard of their generation.

kerely

Nov 25, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 10
I'd say it's one of the most essential live recordings to have in your collection.

Someone mentioned earlier an Unplugged DVD. Yeah, when are they gonna release one?

Nov 25, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 10
i'd kill for a nirvana unplugged dvd. i own the alice in chains one. very cool. there's something wonderful about actually getting to see how drugged up laine staley was in that performance.

also, note kurt's standard-issue long sleeve shirt to cover heroin tracks.

this is one of those albums that's on my list of "albums that every person should own." this used to be one of my mother's most favorite albums and that fact alone makes me feel that it has something for everybody. of course, my mom is cool and digs nina simone too.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back