Nintendo DS Audio Quality?
Jun 25, 2007 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

NoPants

1000+ Head-Fier
I know this might be a stupid question but I was wondering if the DS had anything going for it as far as playing music. Does it exhibit a low noise floor at least? I've played it before but never hooked up a pair of headphones to try it out. I accidentally/impulsively bought one on ebay (I thought someone would be camping on the auction but no...) Thanks for looking

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 27
Actually... it's pretty darn good. The DS Lite audio out especially is nice and quiet, while having a decent amount of power.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this might be a stupid question but I was wondering if the DS had anything going for it as far as playing music. Does it exhibit a low noise floor at least? I've played it before but never hooked up a pair of headphones to try it out. I accidentally/impulsively bought one on ebay (I thought someone would be camping on the auction but no...) Thanks for looking

I hooked up my ms-1 to the headphone port once on my DS and I remember being a bit surprised by the quality of the sound. That being said, the quality didn't seem to compete with any of my players, even the crappy headphone out on my laptop... take this with a grain of salt though, because this was just a short test using the music in New Super Mario Bros.

That being said, there do exist mp3 players for the DS, so I suppose it must be good enough for the average consumer to enjoy music from it on the go.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 27
i'd be interested to hear a test between the DS and the PSP.

actually, I might be up for that. I'm hoping to purchase a DS Lite this summer, and my friend owns a PSP. might be a fun project? any interest?

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 27
Much of the games have really poor sound quality.
If you want to test how good the sound output is, try Pokemon Pearl/Diamond.

They have superb BGM's.
I thought EBA would have good sound quality but I turned out to be wrong.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 27
I have a noob question: can the DS play audio files (like mp3) somehow or are you guys just talking about in-game music?? And what about video? Can the DS play video files?? Can it play any other files that the user chooses apart from game cartridges?

Go Nintendo by the way. I just bought a used GBA SP for some casual entertainment, on the bus etc. Old and primitive I know, but the extra $$ for a DS or PSP wouldn't have been worth it considering I'd use it for a maximum of half an hour a day. Used DS would have been about 2.5 times the price, used PSP would have been at least 3 times the price. Anyway, the bad thing about the SP is that its got no headphone out - the headphone adapter would be an added hassle, but its painful to listen to the tinny built-in speaker. Does anyone else still use SP's??

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 27
The PSP has pretty good sound quality, to be honest.

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a noob question: can the DS play audio files (like mp3) somehow or are you guys just talking about in-game music?? And what about video? Can the DS play video files?? Can it play any other files that the user chooses apart from game cartridges?

Go Nintendo by the way. I just bought a used GBA SP for some casual entertainment, on the bus etc. Old and primitive I know, but the extra $$ for a DS or PSP wouldn't have been worth it considering I'd use it for a maximum of half an hour a day. Used DS would have been about 2.5 times the price, used PSP would have been at least 3 times the price. Anyway, the bad thing about the SP is that its got no headphone out - the headphone adapter would be an added hassle, but its painful to listen to the tinny built-in speaker. Does anyone else still use SP's??

You can get a R4 or M3 Simply that holds micro sd for music, videos, and games.

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get a R4 or M3 Simply that holds micro sd for music, videos, and games.

I got an M3 for my DS and mp3's sound pretty decent on it. You'll forget you're litening to music out of a Nintendo DS

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 27
you can use a program that runs off the M3 or whatever card you choose. The program is called moonshell.

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 27
wow wasn't expecting a good turnout of responses, thanks

that definitely makes me feel better though, as I'm primarily looking to play music-oriented games like elctroplankton and ouendan

so the general consensus is that music on the games is encoded badly, not that the player had bad output right?

Haha just out of pointless curiousity, as anyone taken an amp to these?

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PSP has pretty good sound quality, to be honest.

+1

i havent heard ds sound quality so rockin amigo u should def test the two to see which comes out on top

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 27
i have ds and use a micro expansion with video and audio. while not sounding bad at all, it is not the optimum audio source. sound is loud and clean using amp and headphones but not worth it with earphones or iems.

i was surprised however at how good armin van buuren sounded from the little machine. psp however is in more of the league of a pmp. i think though, the ds might have a beefier amp as the sony is typical sony, lean and low powered yet clean and pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back