Nintendo Battle: DS vs Wii
Jun 23, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #16 of 69
The speakers are awful, they clip like crazy. Headphones are your only bet. And yes, the ds screen is too small. The psp is better for those things. But the psp also doesn't fit easily into my pocket, making it a piss poor PORTABLE. Probably great for longer trips, but I carry my ds with me everywhere I go, every day.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 69
I have a Wii for things like The Legend of Zelda and the incoming Super Smash Bros.

I also love my black DS to death. I recently picked up Pokemon Diamond on a whim, and wow, this is my summer game for sure! Things like Brain Age and ESPECIALLY Advance Wars (best game ever imo; infinite replay value and it's like open chess on a battlefield that you can play with friends) will keep you going back to the DS.

I hope you do get a DS Lite and not the old DS; the new one is slimmer, sleeker, and longer battery life.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #18 of 69
Wii, the social gaming machine

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #19 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The speakers are awful, they clip like crazy. Headphones are your only bet. And yes, the ds screen is too small. The psp is better for those things. But the psp also doesn't fit easily into my pocket, making it a piss poor PORTABLE. Probably great for longer trips, but I carry my ds with me everywhere I go, every day.

There's always the GP2X if the PSP is too large (unless you mainly want a PSP to play commercial games...).

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #20 of 69
I'd go for a DS because of the amount of great games. I haven't touched my PS2 in months, and have had no desire to go get one of the newest generation of consoles simply because I'm perfectly satisfied with playing my DS games at home and on the road.

A Wii would be the only console I'd get because of the price, Virtual Console, and Smash Bros.

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 69
Quote:

But the psp also doesn't fit easily into my pocket, making it a piss poor PORTABLE. Probably great for longer trips, but I carry my ds with me everywhere I go, every day.

Yeah, the ds does have the benefit are being slightly smaller and *much* lighter. The PSP isn't that great of a media player either (though considerable better than the DS). The biggest issue being the washed out, low-refresh screen. The blur drives me nuts.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the reason I keep coming back to the Wii is because Super Smash Brothers Brawl will be coming out soon.

i wonder how the control is going to work for smash brothers. if it works like the wii-mote is designed for, your arms are going to fall off before you start having "fun."

i tried out a wii playing wii-sports, after a few innings of the baseball game, a few rounds of tennis...man...i cant imagine playing smash brothers for any stretch of time playing like that.

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #24 of 69
Wii. Nuff said. I can't justify a portable now that I'm not a little kid. Not saying if I was given one I wouldn't take it, I just wouldn't use it. Plus, the wii has better graphics, and the games last longer(game play time)

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the ds does have the benefit are being slightly smaller and *much* lighter. The PSP isn't that great of a media player either (though considerable better than the DS). The biggest issue being the washed out, low-refresh screen. The blur drives me nuts.

The other big plus is the clamshell which protects the screens from loose change or keys. If you put some kind of protector on the PSP, forget about putting it in your pocket with any modicum of comfort.

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wii. Nuff said. I can't justify a portable now that I'm not a little kid. Not saying if I was given one I wouldn't take it, I just wouldn't use it.

I got both and I can say if today both of them broke or stolen, I will order a DS lite on the same day however Wii will be on the bottom of my list to buy. From all my gaming system that I have now (SNES, N64 Ps2, Xbox, GC, Wii, DSlite), DS lite get the most playing time. It's portable, the game is fun, entertaining & easy to play.

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

The other big plus is the clamshell which protects the screens from loose change or keys. If you put some kind of protector on the PSP, forget about putting it in your pocket with any modicum of comfort.

Yeah, the laptop design is pretty damn good. I've dropped mine a few times and I see no dents. Hell, I don't even use an outer case. If only it had a better screen and more power, I'd use it as a portable video player.
frown.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can pay smash bros old-school style if you want. They haven't explained the specifics in using the wii-mote and nunchaku.

yea, it'll be nice if, at least, they say how the game will be played.

but playing it with just a normal controller style take the wii-ness out of the game. no fun playing it that way since you can beat your opponent by "accidentally" knocking him/her out.

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #29 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, it'll be nice if, at least, they say how the game will be played.

but playing it with just a normal controller style take the wii-ness out of the game. no fun playing it that way since you can beat your opponent by "accidentally" knocking him/her out.

You can use the wii-mote with ssb. Or you can use the nun chuck, or the classic controller, or the game cube controller. There are 4 different ways to play the game, so, it will be interesting how they have implemented this.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #30 of 69
I have both of them at home. I vote for the DS though, don't get me wrong the Wii is an incredible console and should be bought without any hesitation. The DS though offer a game crack wich enable you to play any ds game for free without having to solder some wiikey or something. So for the money i think the DS is a greater value, but it is only my pirate opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back