Nino Bionic
May 21, 2020 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Angelusmorti

New Head-Fier
DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

Today I will tell about the headphones that took me a year to get since I've listened to their early predecessors for the first time.

The redesigned model of a Ukrainian hand-made isodynamic project 'Final Carbon' by Nino.

My setup

Discrete DAC by AKS audio with Burson V.6 Vivid opamps

Gustard H10 with AD797 and AD823 opamps

Project Final Carbon is known for being completely hand made of carbon fiber. In Bionic, the magnets are embedded directly into the carbon base which allows removing the external frame (as it was in Final Carbon) while keeping the construction firm and rigid.

The membrane is made of 0.5-micron film and placed twice closer to the magnet system comparing to Final Carbon which provides 3db sensitivity growth.

Build and fit
The headband is thin but paddy. It's shaped by the carbon fiber reinforced resin. It has two thin rubber stripes underneath to distribute the pressure on the top of your head. Cups are attached with a two-axis movement that also allows changing the height and fixing it with screws according to your head size. The external cover is a thin fabric, covering the magnets holding frame.
These are completely open-back cans and let the sound in and out freely. This moment always has to be considered.

The pressure on the head as well as on the ears is just fine, enough to keep the phones firmly on your head but not causing too much pressure and never getting tiring (my size and pressure were a little bit customized by the master on my request since the sample pair I'd tried before were too large for me). These cans are rather light-weighted comparing to many others and very comfortable. For long listening they fit much better than for example Hifiman HE-4 which I owned for quite a while. Also, Bionics never cause pressure to your head as Hifiman HE-4 or similar ones might cause.

Sound
I've thought about describing the signature a lot but still it is difficult to describe something you can't finalize your opinion about. These cans are rather like a big transparent magnifying glass. The sound signature does depend on the album and how it's mastered. It can change from aggressive and bright to calm and polite one from album to album.

However, having spent a few dozens hours listening to them I would say overall representation is rather transparent and tends to be just a bit on the brighter side rather than completely flat.
The soundstage is spacious and feels extremely transparent (I will use this word a lot in this text). Every instrument or sound is placed strictly on its position. You can literally feel it just like the distance between them and the size of each.

Attacks again depend on the record a lot. But if it's mastered properly you will always know it. Attacks are fast and sharp just as much as it's present in the record. Regardless if it's bass instruments, kick drums, or mids. It's always sharp and focused.
Same thing about fadings. You will get them just as long as mastered in the record.
Here comes the dynamic range which allows you to enjoy every the quietest and tender note as well as the orchestra hits. Little remark here - I've noticed that in the same record energetic music is proposed with a shade of more veracity rather than an energetic explosion of sound. But again, just until it's emphasized in the record. Then you will surely feel it.

Last but not least thing in the sound signature is accuracy and detail. Resolution is simply unbelievable to me. It feels like I hear times more sound information in well-known records. It becomes interesting just to listen to the arrangement and musician's performance signatures. Despite voluminous soundstage, every note by every instrument is reproduced flawlessly, on its place in space and time, and in every record there is always something new even when listening to a few times in a row.

And the moment of truth that hides some details when listening for the first time, details are always in place. The picture is just more vibrant and informative but small details are never put to the front making it sound unnatural.

Frequencies
Bass

There is no bass the way it's used to be perceived. You always just hear instruments playing music. And always - each of them separately and in its place. Timbres are unique for every other drum or bass. You even understand how are they processed and mastered. Nothing to say about speed - it's flawless. An impressive level of agility and accuracy. It's just precise regardless of how deep the register goes.
However, have to notice that the very deepest sounds are present and controlled but they don't hit your perception with the wall. They are rather laid back a little, keeping themselves somewhere just behind the sound canvas. Therefore, some records may sound a bit dry in the lows, especially if you are used to more body in the sound.

Mids
Mids are fast. Stunning level of resolution impressed me (sorry for using this cliche) with really plenty of nuances in the records I've known for kind of decade or so.
You can always easily hear a separate part or melody of each instrument or singer within the arrangement, just pay a bit of attention and the melody appears to be decomposed to dozens of sounds. Just relax and it goes all together again.
Difficult to judge about the amount but high mids seem to be either a bit accented or they are just not laid back (I didn't have the possibility to compare them with any other high-level cans). But again, it depends on the record and depends a lot. Much more than I've heard before.
Interesting however, that despite being so uncompromising they almost never sound uncomfortable. Never sibilant or drilling. Even the hardest records in this matter sound accurate.

Highs
This is probably the only questionable place to some extent. The thing is highs are just even more uncompromising than high mids.
The resolution is very high here and you can feel the pallette of chimes as well as unique character and timbre of every single percussion sound. And in some records they are put just a bit forward but still not hitting directly in your ear and not coming as close as vocals do.
And there is pretty much nothing more to say but the highs also always depend on the record still remaining precisely controlled.

Attachments

• DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 24
Hi is there any link for the headphones?
These are DIY headphones singlehandedly made by a master from Kyiv, Ukraine. His name is Maxim Kryvonos. There is no website yet but it is in progress. Alas, there is almost no English language information on his headphones.

I am the owner of the previous model called Final Carbon Mk2. I have been listening to it for two months already. Before that, I had Mk1 since autumn. I was the second customer for Mk1, and for Mk2 as well. Angelusmorti above is the first customer for the latest Bionic model.

Bionic is a bit different from my Final Carbon Mk2. Bionic has more sensitivity and the sound is more precise while Mk2 is richer in overhangs. Yet Final Carbons are out of production. The current model is Bionic.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 24
wow, how much does it cost? just a price range is fine.
The current product line for over the ear headphones by Maxim (NINO) consists of Bionic and NANO. (He also makes innovative IEMs with AMT driver)

Bionic is the top model and its price is 1500 USD now.

As Maxim understands that not everyone is able to afford his top model which cannot be made cheaper at the moment as it involves enormous amounts of manual work with carbon, he devised a budget model called NANO, which is made on the basis of a Chinese Beirdynamics DT770 clone. Also, it has magnets on one side only. Hence, NANO is considerably cheaper — 630 USD. I compared NANO to my Final Mk2 and can say that while it does not reach the level of its more expensive siblings it is still very impressive and has the same 0,5-micron membrane as Bionics and Final Carbon Mk2.

Disclaimer: I'm not commercially related to the author of these headphones in any way. I was just the lucky one to listen to the first test samples last year and order the pair of Final Carbons Mk1 in the first batch last fall. I have been a consistent fan of his work ever since.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 24
729a31089cd85ea79416c591196b4186.jpg

1st revision of Project Heaven, iems with AMT driver.

May 22, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 24
f0eb325449f2314249291cf892013e02.jpg

And 1st version of Carbon, pre-Carbon Final, pre-Bionic headphones.

May 22, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #11 of 24
Another 2 cents from the curious person, who had a great luck of listening MK1 for about a week - me)
Well, this was (and still is) definetely the best headphones I ever listened in my life! They're on the bright side (not to bright at all, thought) for sure with some lack of bass for those, who really looking for that bass punch. But the mids and the HIGHS...well, just forget about what you've been experiensed before - this is how good they are!
I'm the person, who are really looking for the most detail, clear highs an natural tones in the headphones and from such a perspective I never hear anything as amazing as Final Carbon MK1. Well, something similar I found with Focal Utopia, but I need to make a side by side comparison - to make a final judgment (also Utopias has much more pronounced and deep lows, as you can imagine).
So, if you are looking for incredible details, very wide soundstage, amazingly natural tones, superb speed performance, great mids and out if this world highs - Final Carbon is definitely the cans you need to consider. I was lucky enough to made a preorder with the first batch and really curious to listen Bionic version, which I'm gonna get in the end - to compare it with my Final Carbon MK1 listening experience.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 24
Another 2 cents from the curious person, who had a great luck of listening MK1 for about a week - me)
Well, this was (and still is) definetely the best headphones I ever listened in my life! They're on the bright side (not to bright at all, thought) for sure with some lack of bass for those, who really looking for that bass punch. But the mids and the HIGHS...well, just forget about what you've been experiensed before - this is how good they are!
I'm the person, who are really looking for the most detail, clear highs an natural tones in the headphones and from such a perspective I never hear anything as amazing as Final Carbon MK1. Well, something similar I found with Focal Utopia, but I need to make a side by side comparison - to make a final judgment (also Utopias has much more pronounced and deep lows, as you can imagine).
So, if you are looking for incredible details, very wide soundstage, amazingly natural tones, superb speed performance, great mids and out if this world highs - Final Carbon is definitely the cans you need to consider. I was lucky enough to made a preorder with the first batch and really curious to listen Bionic version, which I'm gonna get in the end - to compare it with my Final Carbon MK1 listening experience.

Is the bass lacking, or just not too emphasized? I like balanced phones, not too screechy and not too boom boom.

May 22, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 24
There is no straight answer to your question, as you can imagine, as everything in audiophile world is up to the personal taste of the particular listener. To me, I would love to get a little more bass body with this cans, but in such a case Final Carbon might be easily the best headphones in the World (*from my perspective) and as I understood from the conversation with Maxim (the manufacturer of this cans) - the phones tuning is all about balance and compromise, so to reach the closest overall performance, what he put as a goal for himself, some sacrifice needs to be made, which is slight lack of the bass in this case. But as I said, in the end of the day - this is the thing I can easily forgive, looking at overall performance of this headphones.
Once again, after Final Carbon MK1, there was 2 more "iterations" of this phones has been made, so the bass might be improved there, as I heard that current Bionic sounds definitely in all aspects better then Final Carbon MK1.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 24
Is the bass lacking, or just not too emphasized? I like balanced phones, not too screechy and not too boom boom.
I'd been testing my Finals mk2 with Alo Audio SXC8 cable for the last few days and the bass is definitely not lacking with this one!

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 24
I'll be getting my Bionics soon. Can't wait!

To all overseas forum members: there are approximately 10-11 people who have ordered a pair of Bionics from Maxim. You can expect that first people to write here will be owners. So while this might look like an incoming advertising campaign, it is not. I have owned Maxim's (Nino's creator) previous models Carbons and was mighty impressed. I've compared them to Meze Empyrean, MrSpeakers Ether C Flow (modified) and some other highly regarded headphones and found them superior in resolution and overall level. Thus I've decided to order Bionics which are supposed to sound even better.

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20191201114220222_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20191201114220222_COVER.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back