Nine Inch Nails
Mar 4, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
BJS
Shhhhhh!.......don't get me in trouble dog
tongue.gif

I am breaking the "rules" a bit here but from the description given by Feanor and his preferences this will work for him. Besides I can't really think of any legit industrial group with "positive outlook"

biggrin.gif

I do listen to downtempo/triphop. However, part of what made NIN interesting was the negativity and the ferocity in it.

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #32 of 51
Killing Joke is pretty awesome,

i've seen gravity kills live, i didn't like that much... but they opened up for good group, sister machine gun. Check them out as well...

Favorite smg album is torture technique.
Singers for kmfdm vary from raymond watts, en esch, or other people. Pig did a tour with em, and did alot of the singing on the NIHIL album, also an album "kmfdm vs pig"

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

BJS
Shhhhhh!.......don't get me in trouble dog
tongue.gif

I am breaking the "rules" a bit here but from the description given by Feanor and his preferences this will work for him. Besides I can't really think of any legit industrial group with "positive outlook"

LOL! Hey, if you don't like at least the first LP by Hooverphonics you must be deaf at least in one ear.

How about Consolidated? Or Beatnigs (one LP, yes)? Ok, I am tapped out. Doom gloomy nihilist visions of deconstructed beats later to be dysfunctional noise artists (even more misunderstood).
biggrin.gif

Gravity Kills, hhhmm, isn't that the band that changed the name of their one big hit Filthy to Guilty once Fincher used it in his film. Now that is artist integrity. But to be fair it did improve the song. I guess that makes the the Flock of Seagulls of synth-pop, neo-industrial angst bands. Is it me or did everyone of these guys all just want to be Gavin Rossdale? Not that we don't all want to be.

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJackSkanz
LOL! Hey, if you don't like at least the first LP by Hooverphonics you must be deaf at least in one ear.

How about Consolidated? Or Beatnigs (one LP, yes)? Ok, I am tapped out. Doom gloomy nihilist visions of deconstructed beats later to be dysfunctional noise artists (even more misunderstood).
biggrin.gif

Gravity Kills, hhhmm, isn't that the band that changed the name of their one big hit Filthy to Guilty once Fincher used it in his film. Now that is artist integrity. But to be fair it did improve the song. I guess that makes the the Flock of Seagulls of synth-pop, neo-industrial angst bands. Is it me or did everyone of these guys all just want to be Gavin Rossdale? Not that we don't all want to be.

biggrin.gif
Awesome post.

Mar 5, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #35 of 51
NIN is very unique, so I think there isn't much sounding like them.

The German Band "Das Ich" is often called the german NIN. Check out their CDs "Egodram" and "Staub". Their last CD "Anti'Christ" is going a bit more into the direction of future pop bands like VNV Nation or Apoptygma Berzerk.
"Outside.1" from David Bowie has some NINish Songs on it.
You might also like OhGr, a sideproject from Skinny Puppy singer Nivek Ogre. It's a bit more fun than the puppys.
Maybe early Gary Numan stuff (like "cars", "are friends electric?", "metal") might fit your bill too. His best of double cd "Exposure" is a must have for any electronic music lover.

Tangerine Dream is very nice, but I wouldn't say they sound like NIN. There is no singer (except on one CD named "Cyclone" as far as I know), they produce ambient sythesizer sound that sometimes turn into E.B.M.like sequences. They also use accoustic instruments like guitars, organs or flutes. A typical Tangerine Dream Song from their best times (1974 - 1980) is about 10 - 25 minutes long. Great stuff for relaxing. The newer songs are shorter. The Band still exists and has produced over 130 records untill now. They also produced a few techno trance cds, so you better listen before buying. "Phaedra", "Rubycon", "Ricochet", "Stratosphear", "Cyclone", "Force Majeure" and "Tangram" are the good ones from the mid 70s.

Mar 9, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #37 of 51
I agree NIN is unique, largely due to one man's genius as - Trent Reznor. I don't respond to many of the so-called industrial/metal bands, but NIN stands out to me. His production and arrangements are gorgeous - transcending 90% of most "rock groups" - he's creating art. I just bought "Further Down the Spiral" from itunes. Again, showing me that Reznor produces rich, experimental works.

Now If I had been able to get tickets to a show I WOULDN'T BE CURSING HIS NAME!!!!
rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #38 of 51
I like Further Down The Spiral too, in fact I own both versions of it, but most of what I like is probably more due to the remixers than Trent Reznor. I like the alternate versions of Heresy and Ruiner a lot better than the album versions. Only one track on the UK version and two tracks on the US version are remixed by Nine Inch Nails.

Incidentally, the Aphex Twin track on this was one of the songs that got me into electronic music, and the Coil tracks were my introduction to Coil.

I really hope the new album continues where Fragile left, but I've been reading some things that make me doubt this. And I still can't stand a lot of Trent's lyrics.

Mar 12, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #40 of 51
Just came back from Best Buy and saw that NIN has released deluxe 2 disc SACD hybrid Downward Spiral 10th anniversary in very cool digipak like "fragile". Unfortunately priced as two full priced CDs!
mad.gif

Looking at 2nd disc I have many of these tracks on EPs, but there are some only found here plus remastered sound and cool package.......if it was reasonably priced I would be a buyer, but not at these prices.

Also saw REVCO (revolting cocks) has thier albums remastered and released by Rykodisc with bonus tracks and new artwork, price is slightly reduced.

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #41 of 51
Going solely by the fact that you like Mogwai and were intrigued by NIN, I think you definitely need to check out Tool. Not industrial, but heavy and seriously one of the best bands around. And if you're looking for positive.... their lyrics are maybe on the surface a bit dark, but I think on the whole positive, you just have to look a little deeper. Aenima or Lateralus.

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Just came back from Best Buy and saw that NIN has released deluxe 2 disc SACD hybrid Downward Spiral 10th anniversary in very cool digipak like "fragile". Unfortunately priced as two full priced CDs!
mad.gif

Looking at 2nd disc I have many of these tracks on EPs, but there are some only found here plus remastered sound and cool package.......if it was reasonably priced I would be a buyer, but not at these prices.

I have the DS DE and it sounds sweet in SACD...it is a must for NIN fans.

This thread makes me laugh. The guy wanted something that sounded like TDWS and he got anything from Tool to Depeche Mode to Delerium; quite the musical gambit.

tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
I have the DS DE and it sounds sweet in SACD...it is a must for NIN fans.

This thread makes me laugh. The guy wanted something that sounded like TDWS and he got anything from Tool to Depeche Mode to Delerium; quite the musical gambit.

tongue.gif

Suggesting Depeche Mode is never a bad thing, and can be a good catch-all kind of group since they really try to produce something good each time out. I absolutely agree that a lot of bands, including NIN, were influenced by DM.

There's such a wide variation of music here because there's no one group that's exactly like NIN (though Manson tries). And you're trying to recommend something that you don't think will offend the senses too much, Estonia Metal.
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #44 of 51
If you havnt listened to it, you can listen to the single, The Hand that Feeds, at NIN's official site now. THTF_HI.
I hope the album is has a darker tone though.

Im definately going to enjoy seeing them at the Summer Sonic Festival this year.
icon10.gif

edit: Ok, after several more listens, the song grew on me.

Mar 17, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #45 of 51
I got The Fragile and am enjoying it immersely. I am looking into tool, I have had nice experiences before with them. Tried Skinny puppy - remission, but I wasnt too taken by it [EDIT: didnt listen to the whole album, only a few tracks, will try again]. Thank you for all the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back