NIN: With Teeth, official album stream
May 7, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #16 of 21
NIN fans let's be honest......this album is just OK overall, I would say it is his weakest.

Tracks 1 & 13 should have stayed in the editing room, several of the remaining tracks are just mid tempo lounge type songs.....what has happened to Trent, where is the passion and energy?

About 2/3 the tracks are good (including "only") but we expect more from someone with his track record, will keep this CD but not really excited about it. Will just progam out weaker tracks when I play.

May 7, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #17 of 21
After track 1 as you listen to tracks 2 & 3 you think "yessss, Trent is back!" since these resemble songs from first three albums, but this is just brief foray into "angry" Trent and rest of album is much more ecclectic and progressive.

If you put Downward Spiral & Fragile into blender and mixed them up then this is approximately what you have for "with teeth"
Track 8 "only" has style/sound similar to "closer" from Downward Spiral so would not be suprised if it becomes MTV song off this album.

Progressive industrial metal.........? I do like how tracks 10,11,12 blend together and have a dark undercurrent to them, almost more hypnotic trip hop than industrial rock/metal.

May 7, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 21
I know it's not typical trent but i do like track 1 quite a bit. I cant seem to find a song that i dont like on this album. There are definately one's that I prefer over others but i dont feel the impulse to skip over a track. I've heard that this album is supposed to be trent's interpritation of a pop album. I think thats an important thing to know when buying this album. Dont expect the Trent from TDS (i havent heard the fragile so i cant comment about that) because this is a much more catchy and structured NiN. Some of the song's have a sort of hip-hop beat to them, such as "The Collector" and "Love is Not Enough". I dont like to declare that an album is OK or fantastic until i've heard it several time over at least a few weeks. But so far i really felt like i got my 10 bucks worth, and quite a bit more.

May 8, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #19 of 21
It took me a couple spins to warm up to With Teeth. I consider this work to be something like the sequel to PHM but filtered through Broken, TDS, and the Fragile. It has a pop under current and is quite catchy, but still has his signature sonic touch. I really like it, I just don't like how they are going to beat it to death on the radio.

I'm glad he didn't make another concept album. The TDS/Fragile (take your pick) was his magnum opus, and it is good to have a breath of fresh air.

May 9, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
NIN fans let's be honest......this album is just OK overall, I would say it is his weakest.

Tracks 1 & 13 should have stayed in the editing room, several of the remaining tracks are just mid tempo lounge type songs.....what has happened to Trent, where is the passion and energy?

About 2/3 the tracks are good (including "only") but we expect more from someone with his track record, will keep this CD but not really excited about it. Will just progam out weaker tracks when I play.

I've listened to it many times now on vynil and dvd-a, and I just love it, Ithink it's definitely in the top three albums of his. I think track one, all the love in the world is a great track! I don't know how you can say that, I didn't like it at first, but it definitely grew on me. I think the passion and energy is definitely still there, its present in the imaging and timing of all the sounds. The depth and placement of the sound is incredible in the stereo imaging. Trent never left.

May 9, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #21 of 21
I totally agree greyghost. This album is very addictive. I'm still hearing new stuff each time I listen to it, even after 25+ listens. All the love in the world is great, and I've grown to love the title track, getting smaller and everyday is exactly the same. There is not one song on the album I don't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back