NIN: The Slip
May 15, 2008 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Chrispy

100+ Head-Fier
Released free on NIN.com

Anyone heard it yet?

On a side not, is there a program to convert FLAC to MP3 (or apples lossless)?

May 15, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 9
I just downloaded the flac version, and I'm going to also get the 96/24.

It seems that Trent Reznor is the only major artist who is truly committed to the idea of free distribution. Radiohead has said they aren't going to repeat the In Rainbows experiment, at least for now.

You really have to admire Reznor's interest in real change, as opposed to publicity stunts. His commitment isn't that surprising when you consider the intensity of his music.

So far, after a casual listen, I would describe the flac files as very good sounding. The music itself will be familiar to NIN listeners. Which is a good thing.

I agree that your best bet for conversion is to first convert the flacs to wavs and then to the format of your choice.

May 15, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 9
I can't believe I still can't connect to the site. I have been wanting to get the apple lossless version. I have listened to the mp3s, I love it. I think it is a solid album. I wasn't incredibly impressed with ghosts but it was worth the $5 I paid for it. Out of Trents last three vocal efforts I would put this in the middle above Year Zero and behind With Teeth.

May 15, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the album to be altogether unremarkable.

+1. Disappointing. It seems it doesn't matter what Trent Reznor does musically. It's all about how he releases his music - that's what's interesting.

May 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Here is my quip from the other thread(That thread didn't discuss the actual music much):

/~/Corona Radiata
is the most interesting song on the album. I wish Ghosts’ scattered ideas were shortened and melded into a group of similar, lengthy ambient progressions. It would help what was inspired at best, self-indulgent at worst.

The rest of Slip is super enjoyable, kind of like a Nine Inch Nails crock-pot.: Mix in the classic ingredients then taste the familiar with a thin twist. The result is an album for the fan that does not ask her to move an inch. Grab the couch. Trent has whipped up some comfort food./~/

My opinion hasn't changed. My rankings would go YZ>TS>G>WT from the sober era.

May 15, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Yes, I and several others have.
There are at least two other similar threads around here.
wink.gif

May 15, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 9
I've listened to it more than twice, which means I like it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back