Nik's Custom R10 Amplifier...
Jul 27, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #16 of 72
[size=small]LINN CD12?![/size]

Damn, Nik, you're going to have the best dynamic headphone system ever made when the amp is done. I think you're getting out of the range of "audiophile" and into "insane audio"... But that RK50 sounds niice... Make sure to post a review when it gets here!

(also, you might want to ask the builder if you can reveal their identity. There's a few R10 owners here that I'm sure would buy themselves R10-H-es in a jiffy if they knew where to send the money)

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 72
Yes guys!!!!

My “problem” was: “what can I put in the middle of Linn Sondek CD 12 and Sony Mdr R-10 cans?”. I think that now the problem is solved: The new “R-10H” ultimate headphone amp. You can understand that any headphone amps in the market isn’t in the same class of my equipment, and I resolved to order a very outstanding amp for the R-10. I haven’t any other equipment, minimalist listening: source-amp-headphone, “only” this! My cables are in the same class of these pieces. I don’t use any conditioners or filters because never I found something that do not pollute the sound or better, the music that came out of these machines. I hope to tell you next time about the sound of the “R-10H” amp, then I explain to you all the characteristics of this amp, the builder and all you want to know about him.

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 72
Sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Jul 27, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #21 of 72
Why would I want one? I don't own R10s anymore...

Jul 27, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #23 of 72
Come to think of it, since he only has two Sony headphones, he's hardly Senor Sony anymore, either...

Or does having two META42s make me Mr. Meta?

Jul 27, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 72
I still love Sony as a company. Senor Sony fits me just fine I think.
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #28 of 72
Erm, I always thought a good stepped attenuator would be better than any potentiometer... or am I wrong about the ludicrious $500 Alps unit?

Jul 28, 2002 at 8:08 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Did you see the EAR HP-4 inside? How much for his components???? Sovtek tubes… the normal Alps RK 40, Daewoo capacitors (!!!???)…

I actually itemized the components at some point and I'd say they would run for about 500-600 USD (I had to make some optimistic assumptions on the cost of transformers and the enclosure because they're all custom-made). Daewoo caps are in the power supply only, and the fact that we don't hear about them too often doesn't mean they're bad. I have to admit that HP4 is very responsive to the AC quality though.

And it's somewhat strange that you have a selective prejudice against Sovtek tubes, especially given that you decided to go with them in your amp. Still curious what it may sound like though. Quote:

and do you know the price of this amp? (3500$).

Nik, you know very-very well yourself that its retail price in your area is less than 2100 USD although you tend to forget it all the time.

<gripe> My only problem with HP4 is that kick to the left ear it gave me when I received it from you (I know it was the shipping issue, I know). No headphones for more than a week now and I'm planning to keep it like that till at least the end of August; still recovering... I just pray I don't end up like mrbeanyohan on headwize. If I do, some people will get new toys. </gripe>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back