Nikon Film SLR suggestions
Aug 12, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #31 of 34
I will be the voice of dissent and recommend the venerable Minolta SRT-101. It is a all manual camera that functions without a battery sans light meter functionality - with the addition of a $1.25 hearing aid battery the light meter happily bounces up and down. It is solid and cheap - demanding a price of around $30 on the internet marketplace. You would be hard pressed to find a NOS model; however, this camera is built like a tank and almost all of the models are in emasculate condition.

Nevertheless, I am mainly recommending it for the extremely cheap Rokkor lens that float around the internet. While not as sharp as the Nikkors, the Rokkor series has wonderful Bokeh, have a cult following, and are astonishingly cheap. A 50mm 1.7, 50mm 1.4, and 28mm 2.5 can all be had for less than $100 on a lucky day. It is worth at least a look. and consideration

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to do medium format, I'm personally in love with the Mamiya RZ67 Pro II (aka. RZ67 Pro, aka RZ67, aka RB67). Amazing body and lenses.

Cheap too. I love mine.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #33 of 34
When you purchase the camera you end up getting, be one to get info on how to test your camera. What you do is run an exposure at each different f-stop and each different speed of shutter. Then you do a contact sheet and look at each exposure. You also want to photograph things using the flash and a detail of a test sheet. There are web sites which show you how to test your camera. My Dad takes any used 35mm he gets to a place to have it checked up and gone threw. I do my tests then let it ride. =Less money.
nikon_fe_black_joe.jpg
I used 4x4 view cameras in school also I purchased a 2 1/4X 2 1/4 Medium format and after all, for the walking around photography I do 35mm is most fun. Yes my most detail came with the medium format but my best shots were on a 35mm due to ease of use. I have thougt it cool when I see people still using film and learning the whole printing process. Developing your own film along with pushing and pulling the development process is fun. The time of waiting to see the image adds a magic that we do not have in this digital age, Now I will look into 35mm scanners though as I think photoshop is cool. There is also a look that can not be made with computers than involves just a print from a 35mm negitive when everything is done right. There is a quality on the printed paper that is different than photo processed threw a computer.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #34 of 34
Full manual Nikon F2 is the only way to go.
tongue.gif
Relatively inexpensive, built like a tank (Same one's used for journalism in Vietnam during the war), and the best thing you can do to start really getting into photography (No full auto modes here) other than medium format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back