Nightwish
Jun 8, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #31 of 36
I would have never encountered this band except that my daughter (who attends college in Switzerland) told me about them after her Finnish friends introduced her. As someone new to the band, I think the new singer is an improvement, albeit with a very different style. The old stuff is good too - I can understand longtime fans having trouble with the new sound which is somewhat different.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just getting into the who genre (not just sub genre) and nightwish are one i heard on last fm and want more of!

any particularly good albums?

Al4x,

A band that wasn't mentioned that I think is worth checking out is Lacuna Coil. I'm not that big into Nightwish, but really like these guys. A little less power, but a bit more melodic.

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #33 of 36
^yeah, i have found them now
smily_headphones1.gif

been listening to more of the nightwish older stuff

there has never been any group/soloist ive liked more than these,

on my media player star counter, well over half the songs, probably 60-70% i have given 4-5 stars

the thing is, i hadnt even heard of them till a few months ago, shocking how something you love so much took so long to find,

ive always loved classical and hard rock but never found the right mixture

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #34 of 36
Ive only just got into these in the last month,didn't even know they even existed!
Since first hearing them ive picked up all their albums and love them tremendously.
Notable favourites are Dark chest of wonders,Stargazers,Wishmaster and many more.
To me they sound like a natural progression from jeff lynnes' E.L.O,who i have always loved.
On the subject of tarja or Annette well Annette has a really nice voice and is stunning to look at but Tarja has a wonderful voice and drop dead gorgeous to boot.
So i would definitely choose Tarja,her vocal range is so beautiful to hear.
I just wonder how the poet and the pendulum would have sounded with her voice.
Such a shame it will never happen.
Nothing at all against annette but her voice just isn't strong enough for the band.
Maybe they should change their name because even though Dark passion play sounds nice it could have been a classic!

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #35 of 36
I listened to 'Once' nonstop for way too long. That is a great album, but it lost its magic for me after the 1000th listen. I still like 'Century Child' and love 'Oceanborn', but on the whole I don't consider myself a fan of the band anymore, even though I recognize that Tuomas is a brilliant composer, and the musicianship is all really good. It's probably got a lot to do with the self-pitying lyrics.

"My name is Tuomas, and I'm an artist who must suffer for the sake of my art, and by the way did you know that I lost my treasured innocence quite some time ago, and also I am what they call an 'ocean soul', which is is something you do not want to be, unless you want to suffer like the artist that I am."

To quote Ingwe... Feh.

Also, when I saw them live in 2004 I thought they depended far too much on pre-recorded backup vocals and orchestras. It was a bit like Karaoke. They had very good stage presence and put on a great show, but it bugs me when a band plays live without it all being, well, live. I feel it misses the point of rock 'n roll.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #36 of 36
DPP is more tailored for Annette, but it still feels like a transition between the two singer, instead of a full blown first album for her. The next one should be excellent.

The Poet and Pendulum is good, by far one of the best tracks on the album, but I prefer "The Islander" and "Last of the Wilds." Just a different taste of the same greatness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back