Nightwish
May 6, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 36
I saw em live with Tarja. To be honest, I used to be a big fan, but now when i listen to them i just get this massive vibe of cheese. Powermetal is just so... lame, lol. The guitar tone really gets my goat aswell - it's the quintessential scooped mesa recto sound, and does nothing for me.
Tarja was a great singer, haven't heard much of the new one but I thought she seemed a bit ordinary in comparison.

May 7, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #18 of 36
As much as I liked Tarja, I can understand Annette's pronounciation of the lyrics better. And as much as I liked the older albums, I find myself reaching for Dark Passion Play more often than Nightwish's older albums.

Annette's a fine singer, though the biggest problem is that most of the songs in Dark Passion Play were written with Tarja's vocal style and range in mind, so there doesn't seem to be that singer-song sync. Still, Annette did a good job in singing them. I have hopes for their next album, which should contain songs written for Annette.

May 7, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #19 of 36
I'll keep falling away from Nightwish, only to listen to them non-stop a month or two later. Old stuff, new stuff, whatever.
biggrin.gif
Say what you will, but I feel that Emppu (spelling?) is a great guitarist, cheesy power metal riffs or not.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #20 of 36
You're certainly not the only one.
I like them as well..
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #21 of 36
I liked, and still like Nightwish, but I find that I listen to their newest album very little. Annette can certainly sing, but her voice is not as unique as Tarja's and that, in my opinion is what made Nightwish unique as well.

May 8, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked, and still like Nightwish, but I find that I listen to their newest album very little. Annette can certainly sing, but her voice is not as unique as Tarja's and that, in my opinion is what made Nightwish unique as well.

Same sentiments here - it is not quite the same without Tarja. The new singer is OK, but Nightwish just don't sound so unique anymore.

May 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #23 of 36
Agreed; if anything I feel it makes them sound too similar to Within Temptation now. Not to take anything away from Annette, but I think the shoes might have been a tad too big/too different to fill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much as I liked Tarja, I can understand Annette's pronounciation of the lyrics better. .

Speaking of which...this is good for a laugh: YouTube - Wishmaster - The Misheard Lyrics

On a side note, I picked up the "End of an Era" DVD recently, recommended by some other Head-Fi members; thank you guys, it was a brilliant performance and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

May 8, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Ditto. Although I am listening to Dark Passion Play more and more. At first listen, I really didn't like it. I like how they are using Marco's vocals more in the new album.

May 9, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto. Although I am listening to Dark Passion Play more and more. At first listen, I really didn't like it. I like how they are using Marco's vocals more in the new album.

You've just hit on the biggest reason I never fully wrote off Dark Passion Play. While overall, I felt like Nightwish had become less unique, Using Marco's vocals more in this album than previous albums does come as a rather refreshing change, and one that, I hope, they continue with in their next album. If the next album they release goes back to old times and features less Marco, I may not have a reason to buy it.

May 9, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #26 of 36
Hmm, I am going to buck the trend here. I think Dark Passion Play was a better album than the two which preceded it. Once has a several killer tracks, but quite a few that don't do much for me. Likewise with Century Child which blasts out of the gate only to lose steam as it goes on.

For me, DPP is just a more consistent album with only "Sahara" and "Whoever Brings the Night" not being particularly memorable.

I also think that my enjoyment of Nightwish has been dictated by Tuomas' style of songwriting and not so much whomever the singer happens to be. For sure, Tarja was cool, and when I first heard Nightwish, it was certainly her vocals that immediately caught my attention. However, that wouldn't have carried me through to the enjoyment, and even fufillment I get from their records, without some very good songwriting.

While Annette is not the powerhouse that Tarja is, I still enjoy her voice greatly, and it doesn't significantly change my overall enjoyment of Nightwish. I'm interested to hear their next album, and see if she imparts more of her own flavor into it. I'm actually glad they brought it someone who sounds different from Tarja, now that I think about it, because at least we didn't get stuck with a poor imitation of the real article (a la Tim Owens replacing Rob Halford in Judas Priest).

To me, Wishmaster is their best overall album, as I really like every song on it. DPP and Oceanborn are close for second place, but ultimately, DPP gets it, due the presence of several epic tracks, whereas Oceanborn had a more basic sound overall.

May 9, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

You've just hit on the biggest reason I never fully wrote off Dark Passion Play. While overall, I felt like Nightwish had become less unique, Using Marco's vocals more in this album than previous albums does come as a rather refreshing change, and one that, I hope, they continue with in their next album. If the next album they release goes back to old times and features less Marco, I may not have a reason to buy it.

As well, Marco's singing is why one of my top-ten favourite Nightwish songs is actually that live cover of High Hopes they did.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I am going to buck the trend here. I think Dark Passion Play was a better album than the two which preceded it. Once has a several killer tracks, but quite a few that don't do much for me. Likewise with Century Child which blasts out of the gate only to lose steam as it goes on.

For me, DPP is just a more consistent album with only "Sahara" and "Whoever Brings the Night" not being particularly memorable.

I also think that my enjoyment of Nightwish has been dictated by Tuomas' style of songwriting and not so much whomever the singer happens to be. For sure, Tarja was cool, and when I first heard Nightwish, it was certainly her vocals that immediately caught my attention. However, that wouldn't have carried me through to the enjoyment, and even fufillment I get from their records, without some very good songwriting.

While Annette is not the powerhouse that Tarja is, I still enjoy her voice greatly, and it doesn't significantly change my overall enjoyment of Nightwish. I'm interested to hear their next album, and see if she imparts more of her own flavor into it. I'm actually glad they brought it someone who sounds different from Tarja, now that I think about it, because at least we didn't get stuck with a poor imitation of the real article (a la Tim Owens replacing Rob Halford in Judas Priest).

To me, Wishmaster is their best overall album, as I really like every song on it. DPP and Oceanborn are close for second place, but ultimately, DPP gets it, due the presence of several epic tracks, whereas Oceanborn had a more basic sound overall.

Cool... someone wrote my response for me
wink.gif

I disagree with a couple things (I love Century Child), but it's pretty vital to realise that it is Tuomas, not the singer, that is Nightwish. Anette is different, yes, and she has some difficulty with some of the older songs, but that doesn't make her a bad singer by any means (and she's very nice, to boot).

Anyway, Nightwish is one of my favourite bands ever, and probably will remain so.

Two other thoughts: Tarja's solo work isn't but, but is overall less metal-ly, and for those of you who like Marco's vocals, I would highly recommend that you check out Tarot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back