Nightwish
Apr 7, 2008 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
Any Nightwish fans here or am I the only one?
confused.gif

I saw them in concert in October- very nice, despite the fact that it was in a pretty cramped venue, not the stadiums they usually play when in Finland. Their setlist was pretty predictable- about half songs from their most recent album, a few classics/favourites and one or two that surprised me (She is my Sin in particular, one of my favourite classic NW songs and was odd to hear being sung by their new singer).

Any thoughts on their new singer? I rather like Annette, but she doesn't have quite the vocal range that Tarja did. At the very least, she has a better stage presence, and is powerful enough to stand toe-to-toe with Marco's singing.

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 36
I love Nightwish; have everything they have every released. I think Anette is quite good, but not at the level that Tarja was. She has a more ordinary voice, whereas I think Tarja had a really special style that made Nightwish unique. Would love to hear them live sometime.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 36
Nightwish is ok, I find that they can get boring sometimes, but they are very unique and some of their songs are really good. I like their Live DVD as well, a good performance by all.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 36
Yeah, I agree in part. They are at their best when they try new things, like Wish I had an Angel off of Once, or Meadows of Heaven from Dark Passion Play. Sure, Meadows isn't traditional metal, but that's what makes it interesting for me!

Though much of their classic stuff is good too, I'm not a huge fan of their ballad-style songs, Meadows of Heaven, the middle part of Ghost Love Score and one or two others notwithstanding.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 36
Nightwish WAS one of my favorite bands. I thought I would still like them with the new lead singer, Anette, but she is NOTHING compared to Tarja. I just recently bought the new album Dark Passion Play and must say that it's noowhere near some of their earlier efforts. One thing I did like about the new album is they are using the vocal talents of bass player Marco much more. He's got a great "metal" voice. I'm hoping the next album is better.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just getting into the who genre (not just sub genre) and nightwish are one i heard on last fm and want more of!

any particularly good albums?

Other good female fronted bands to check out:
Edenbridge
After Forever
Epica
Xandria
Visions of Atlantis
Leaves' Eyes
Sirenia
Sunterra
The Crest
Theatre of Tragedy
Thy Sins of Thy Beloved

There's more....that's just off the top of my head.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just getting into the who genre (not just sub genre) and nightwish are one i heard on last fm and want more of!

any particularly good albums?

Once and Dark Passion Play for their newer stuff, Century Child and Wishmaster for some more of their older sound. I like both their old and new sound so you can just about go with any of their albums.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also check out End of an Era, their latest live DVD.

Also, I agree with ecclesand, more Marco= better.
smily_headphones1.gif
The cover of High Hopes they did on EoaE really showed off Marco's powerful vocals.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 36
I'm a fan of their new stuff, mostly because I haven't got round to having a proper listen to their old stuff.

I like Anette in the sense that, she's not as unique sure, but she's also easier to listen to imo.

Like Tarja had that extra something that added that little bit more to a lot of tracks but at times I was just like... ehhhh... like her vocals would at times come off as a bit weird or something.

Anyway, definitely agree that I like Marco singing more on Dark Passion Play, and I'm actually a fan of their dabbling into more folksy metal towards the end of the album.

Then again I'm a pretty big Ayreon fan...
redface.gif

May 3, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 36
i really like their version of walking in the air,also on the female fronted bands i also quite like within temptation

May 3, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 36
I never really loved Tarja, but at least she was unique. Annette sounds really bland, not necessarily bad, but there's nothing special about her. I was disappointed with Dark Passion Play not because it was a bad album, but because it failed to remind me of that uniqueness I'd come to associate with Nightwish, namely the vocals.

On a partially unrelated note, has anyone heard Tarja's solo album? I've been meaning to try it out, but keep forgetting to pick it up.

May 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 36
im d/ling it just now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back