Nightwish and Sonata Arctica
Oct 28, 2005 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CookieFactory

Banned
I'm looking for some music that's similar to Nightwish, and to a lesser extent Sonata Arctica (whom I'm not as familiar with).
I've sampled some Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, Stratovarius, Within Temptation, etc but at least from what I've listened to, the vocals are there, but there's none of that "full force drive," of Nightwish. I'm also not really into growling/semi-growling male vocals either (I tend to avoid Nightwish tracks that male vocals).
My favorite Nightwish and Sonata Arctica songs are the following (no particular order):

Nightwish:

Dark Chest of Wonders
End of All Hope
Ghost Love Score
Beauty and the Beast
Nightquest
Moondance

Sonata Arctica: (haven't heard too much of them though)
My Selene
Victoria's Secret

I suppose in a nutshell I'm looking for melodic vocals with blistering pace metal with a touch of pop sensibilities. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 28, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
I suppose in a nutshell I'm looking for melodic vocals with blistering pace metal with a touch of pop sensibilities. Anyone have any suggestions?

you might as well check out Dragonforce, too.

they've got melodic vocals, catchy songs, and speed that you'll have a rather difficult time matching outside of the most extreme death metal.

Oct 28, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
I'm also not really into growling/semi-growling male vocals either (I tend to avoid Nightwish tracks that male vocals).

I remember saying the same thing about 8 months ago.

Then I found bands that I put up with the male vocals just to hear the female vocals ... then i was indifferent ... then I began to enjoy it ... now I LOVE IT
biggrin.gif

im guessing by full force you mean Power Metal style.

Edenbridge (more melodic vocals)
Sinergy (Heavy Power)
Lullacry (kinda hard rock)
Black Widow
Charisma (more prog)
Elis
edit: Midnattsol, Leaves Eyes

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
PS. Tarja Turunen from nightwish has been fired due to greed and other things such as "ignorance towards fans". They will be looking for a new female vocalist in the near future!!!!

Original Thread

Should start betting on who gets the job
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Should start betting on who gets the job
biggrin.gif

as long as Floor and Sharon stay with their respective bands, it's all good.

Oct 29, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
I remember saying the same thing about 8 months ago.
Then I found bands that I put up with the male vocals just to hear the female vocals ... then i was indifferent ... then I began to enjoy it ... now I LOVE IT
biggrin.gif

Thats how I first thought of Opeth. Now I completely dig death vocals, I love them.
Opeth are melodic progressive death-metal.
580smile.gif

If thats not for you, you sound like you might like Progressive Metal; like Dream Theater & Symphony X.

I love Power Metal, like Nightwish, just as much. So you might like Prog too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back