Night of the Comet in San Diego this morning
Oct 26, 2003 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
So, it's 8:15AM and I wake up and want coffee.

I pull on pants and head out to go to the cafe on the next block for a double hammer head.

There's ash covering the front stoop. Ash swirling on the street. Ash covering the cars.
confused.gif

It's dark like it's dusk. The sky is black. Everything has a red tint.

Where the sun is supposed to be, there's a faint, crimson ball in the sky.

Bizzare.
eek.gif

It’s caused by the Santa Ana winds carrying this down from the big fire up north near Camp Pendelton.

It's dark out... very good setting for a horror film.
cool.gif

[edit] Guess there's another fire closer up in the Barona area.

Oct 26, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 14
i'm down in the pacific beach area, the sky is nasty as hell, it's completely brownish outside. The news anchors are saying that the fire's going to easily spread into the city. It's already hit Miramar airbase.

Here's a picture out of a roommate's window. The area's too hilly to get a good shot closer to the fire, but mind you that this was taken headed east while the fire is headed north, and it's friggin' 10AM.

Evidently, IMG tags just aren't working... here's a link to the pic.

Oct 26, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 14
Good Pic.
smily_headphones1.gif

This %$#@ is intense. Gonna be a LOT of property damage. I’m guessing over $200 million so far.

Oct 27, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 14
Here in Los Alamitos, it looks like late afternoon with a yellowish cast to the sky all day, and my pool now has a thin layer of ash on it...

Oct 28, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
as does my car

As does all of urban San Diego.

Crazy sh$t. Crazy.

Oct 28, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 14
Here's some other pics i've taken of the sky over the days. Kind of sucks being stuck not being able to do much.

diff pics depicting day and time

also note... the nasty yellowish tone is not from a defective camera... that is what it ACTUALLY looks like outside of my friggin' house

hope the other socal members hold up well in this nasty time.

Oct 28, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 14
Hey guys,

It's truly sad what is happening in your area. I am scheduled to attend a conference in SD from the 7th to the 12th and I was gonna hang around for a few days to enjoy the area. Now it looks like I will be getting an education of another kind. For your sakes, I hope the worst is over...

Keep on truckin'
plainface.gif
and remember we're praying for ya.

Sincerely,
gb

Oct 28, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 14
gbeard,
Thanks. It’ll be over by the time you get here.
wink.gif

AIM9x,

It's the same in my area. I live in the 92101 zip code (just south of you).

We went to work on Monday and today, but only for a couple hours in the morning. The air was worse in the office than outside and I had a headache within 30 minutes of being in the office.
eek.gif

I don’t have air-conditioning here at home, so I just have to breathe what’s in the air.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/u...n28health.html

Oct 29, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 14
A good friend of mine lives in San Marcos just outside of San Diego. I remember talking to her on the phone a few years ago while she was standing at her kitchen window describing the fires she could see in the surrounding hills. The next time I visited her after that, the blackened hill tops were everywhere.

Yesterday she said they're talking about possibly evacuating her mother who lives in Escondido. Is it really that close?

Oct 29, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
A good friend of mine lives in San Marcos just outside of San Diego. I remember talking to her on the phone a few years ago while she was standing at her kitchen window describing the fires she could see in the surrounding hills. The next time I visited her after that, the blackened hill tops were everywhere.

Yesterday she said they're talking about possibly evacuating her mother who lives in Escondido. Is it really that close?

Yup. It's close. Here are pics my friend took in Escondido on Sunday:

http://members.cox.net/manabyte/fire_03.jpg
http://members.cox.net/manabyte/fire_04.jpg
http://members.cox.net/manabyte/fire_05.jpg

I just talked to my aunt Julie who lives in San Marcos and she called to tell me about a flare up in Encinitas right by the Leucadia exit of I-5.

Updates here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...fire_blog.html

Oct 29, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 14
Wow! That IS close. That even looks like her mom's building ( but then most of the apartments around there look like that, don't they?) Holy crap. I hope the winds die down soon, and you guy's get some rain. ( although rain around there is unlikely)

Oct 29, 2003 at 1:37 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
We went to work on Monday and today, but only for a couple hours in the morning. The air was worse in the office than outside and I had a headache within 30 minutes of being in the office.

School's been closed monday, today, and actually tomorrow as well. They know that having people walk 10-15 min class to class multiple times a day with this air is in no one's best interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back