Night & Day (listening experiences)
Oct 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CENTRAL

100+ Head-Fier
I really enjoy discussing topics other than what to buy. Τhere are so many interesting things in this hobby than just spending more money…

Here is something I experience and would really enjoy to share and discuss…

I like listening to my music before going to sleep. It is relaxing and enjoyable.

But I find that being tired, my listening experience is much worse than when I listen to the same setup, same music 10 o’ clock on Saturday morning…

At night, sometimes I feel the sound lacks this or that, I tend to skip tracks too much…in the morning I really enjoy more.

Is this true for you guys???

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 14
I'd say it's the opposite of that. Night time cools me down and lets me relax. Each man for his own.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 14
I tend to listen to everything through without skipping much now now matter what time of day. When I was younger, I skipped like crazy though. However, nighttime is when my music appreciation is at it's max. I feel more calm since it's dark and quiet.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 14
What about physical tiredness? Isn't this a factor that limits enjoyment?

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Lately, I re-researched my cd collection and started ripping a lot of Marillion stuff I haven't heard for a long time...

Trust me, a couple of songs and you just fade away!!! It will take years to listen to all their albums (again) one track a day (night really)...

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 14
I only listen the music in day, if listen the music before sleeping, I can't sleep until take them off my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Quite close to what I often experience. During a busy day I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes for concentrated listening and I really enjoy it and am disappointed that I can't listen longer. So I really look forward to evening/night, but when that comes I'm too tired, can't focus on the music and don't enjoy it nearly as much. :frowning2:

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite close to what I often experience. During a busy day I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes for concentrated listening and I really enjoy it and am disappointed that I can't listen longer. So I really look forward to evening/night, but when that comes I'm too tired, can't focus on the music and don't enjoy it nearly as much. :frowning2:

My kind of head-fier!

I look forward listening to my music all day long. Sometimes I go to bed earlier than usual - right after we feed the baby that is, while I' m still alone in bed - sounds great - and then bloooooof - my brain just refuses to cooperate! cmon!!!

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 14
I find when when I'm tired, that I care less about performances, and about reproduction quality, and that I'm a much less critical listener overall.

I'm such a freak that I'll save break-in and adjustment of new equipment for a moment when I'm fresh and alert. Otherwise I'll let imperfections slide that I really should catch and fix. Then, when I'm fresh and alert, I'll turn on, hear the mess I made and say "Ugh! What the hell was I thinking?"

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 14
For me, it depends on the type of music...

Only day: music that I kind of like (rap, heavy metal)

Only night (when I'm tired): classical music, slow jams, musical scores

Day and night (except when I'm tired): pop, rock, dance, acoustic, country, everything else
L3000.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 14
I prefer to listen at night, but that's simply because the house is quieter then.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 14
I like them both in different ways. During the day I listen while I work, usually with Grados. At night I listen for an hour or so before I fall asleep, on orthodynamics. The Grados are intimate toe tapping headphones, the orthos are detailed and airy with big soundstage. The music choices are often different as well. Daytime is rock and album style trance (Infected Mushroom and Oceanlab). Nighttime is generally vocal trance mixes or classical.

In summary, it's rockin' music on Grados during the day, and detailed music on orthos at night.

EDIT: 420th Post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back