Night club Audio
Jan 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jmb777

New Head-Fier
Does anyone else hate club audio setups? 
i was out last night and the club had a bose sytem, so i thought well at least they are willing to spend money even if they don't know what they're spending it on. but it just sounded terrible, they had clearly EQ'd the audio but only to eliminate the mid range so that the bass made the building shake and the treble was painful to the ears, it was horrid, so i asked the DJ what he thought, and what headphones he was using, he simply said "Sony's" 
angry_face.gif

Have you ever heard of Grado's i asked? which he responded with "Grado's? never heard of them" 
At that point i was done with the club and walked out, couldn't stand it in there any longer.

anyone have similar experiences? and do you know of any clubs or bars that actually care about their audio?

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Grado doesn't make a headphone that is usable in a night club.

At any rate, the DJ's job is to maintain 120bpm to keep the crowd moving, and presumably thirsty so they will buy drinks.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 6
DJs are usually not well versed in audio equipment, especially this guy. A Bose system? Psh.

I have a friend who DJs and he scoffs at Bose. He actually does have nice equipment. Peavey speakers and Pioneer decks, I can't remember the model nos, but they sound very nice. Sometimes when I'm over we'll turn on his system and just listen to music. But no, he doesn't know very much about headphones. He has cheap Ultrasone headphones that he uses for everything.. be it DJing or casual use.

DJ headphones don't need to sound good. The only thing that the DJ uses headphones for is cue-ing up the next song. For example the current song is playing over the speakers, and he is looking for the next song to play on the second deck. He monitors that deck through headphones only to pick a song to play.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Back in the day.....before "DJ,s", clubs just had a house system. I have heard everything from JBL, Klipsch, custom built, and yes....Bose (901),If the system was setup halfway decent it didn't matter....I was there to party and get lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back