Nigerian-style scam e-mail....Growth industry???
Sep 22, 2005 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been used to receiving these scam e-mails ( and before e-mail, faxes), one or two or three times a year, but lately they've been coming fast and furious with more variety and creativity than ever before. Here's what I've received in only the past 3 days. Can these things be THAT successful?

May this mail find you happiness and peace in your life.

I am Kevin and my younger sister called Linda Kamara of the same parents from Sierre-Leone country . we lost our parent and our late father Dr Alfred Kamara made a deposit of money and the amount is USD11M dollars here in Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire.

We are presently in Abidjan where the money was been deposited and I have the document backing up the money at the bank for your claims and our late father told us incase if he died that we should look for someone who has a legitimate bank account abroad to help us claim the money as we are young ones.

We have the ID Card issued us from the United Nation here in Abidjan Cote D'Ivoire on our arrival as refugess and these will serves you as a proof of who we ARE.

We believe you as an advanced person that you will not betray the trust we impose on you at the end of the transfer into your personal bank account.

Please we need you to send to us the followings,
1.your full Name.
2.Your private phone and fax number
3.Your banking information

All this i will submit to the bank for the transfer of the money to your bank account which you are going to send.

Bear in mind that this transaction remains confindential to yourself alone.

Based on this we contacted you for an assistance.

10% of the total sum will be offered to you for your assistance, while 2% will be set aside for any expenses that might arise during the transfer.

Thanks and remaine bless.

Waiting for your urgent call ands reply

Yours sincerely ones.

Kevin/Linda Kamara.

MR. MING YANG
HANG SENG BANK LTD.
83, Des Voeux Road.,
Central HK,
Hong Kong.
mingyang5000@mail2hongkong.com

Dear Prospective partner,

I am Mr. Ming Yang,director of operations of the Hang Seng Bank Ltd. I have a business suggestion and proposal for you.

Before the U.S and Iraqi war our client, Gen. Aadel Akgaal Bastaan
who was with the Iraqi forces and also businessman made a numbered fixed deposit for 18 calendar months, with a value of Twenty Four million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars only in my branch.

Upon maturity several notices was sent to him, even during the war which began in 2003. Again after the war, another notification was sent
and still we received no response from him. We later found out that
the General along with his wife and only daughter had been killed during the war in a bomb blast that hit their home.

You can read more about the bombings on visiting these
sites below:

http://www.ccmep.org/usbombingwatch/2003.htm#3/19/03

http://civilians.info/iraq/deaths_data.php

After further investigation it was also discovered that Gen. Aadel Akgaal Bastaan did not declare any next of kin in his official papers including the paper work of his bank deposit. And he also confided in me the last time he was at my office that no one except i, knows of his deposit in my bank. So, Twenty Four million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars is still lying in my bank and no one will ever come forward to claim it. What bothers me most is, according to the laws of my country at the expiration 4 years the funds will revert to the ownership of the Hong Kong Government if nobody applies to claim the funds. Against this backdrop,my suggestion to you is that ,I will like you as a foreigner to stand as the next of kin to Gen. Aadel Akgaal Bastaan so that you will be able to receive his funds as beneficiary on behalf of both of us.This would be betwen us,it is the reason of the partnership proposal.

I want you to know that I have everything well planned out so that we will register success.I have an attorney that will prepare the necessary legal document that will back you up as the next of kin to Gen. Aadel Akgaal Bastaan, all that is required from you at this stage is for you to provide me with your Full Names and Address so that the
attorney can commence his job. After you have been made the next of kin, the attorney will also file in for claims on your behalf and secure the necessary approval and letter of probate in your favour for the move of the funds to an account that will be made available by you.

There are no risk involved at all in this matter, as we are going to adopt a legalized method and the attorney will prepare all the necessary documents. Please endeavor to observe utmost discretion in

all matters concerning this issue.Should you be interested please send me your full names, private phone/fax and current residential address
to this email address accordingly; mingyang5000@mail2hongkong.com

Upon receipt of these,i would immediately have you receive further informations regards our partnership and project.

Your earliest response to this letter will be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Mr. Ming Yang

The UK National Lottery

NOTIFICATION DESK
2,Monck Street,
London,
SW1P 2BQ,
UNITED KINGDOM
(Customer Services)
FILE NO: KPC/9080118308/02
TICKET NO: 56475600545188
BATCH NUMBER:UKNL/08178/05

UKNL NOTIFICATION DESK

We happily announce to you the draw of the U.K National Lottery International programs held on the 11th September 2005 in Croydon London. Your e-mail address attached to ticket number: 56475600545188 with Serial number 5388/02 drew the lucky numbers: 14-18-29-33-37-39, which subsequently won you the lottery in the 2nd category.You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of £725,000 british pounds in cash credited to file and batch numbers KPC/9080118308/02,UKNL/08178/05.This is from a total cash prize of £15,064,894(GBP) shared amongst the first ten (10) lucky winners in this category. Please note that your lucky winning number falls within our European booklet representative office in Europe as indicated in our play coupon. In view of this, your £725,000 british pounds would be released to you by our preferred payment center in London.Our agent will immediately commence the process to facilitate the release of your funds as soon as you contact him. All participants were selected randomly from World Wide Website through computer draw system and extracted from over 100,000 companies.This promotion takes place annually. For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential till your claims are processed and your money remitted to you in whatever manner you deem fit to claim your prize. This is a part of our precautionary measure to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some unscrupulous elements.
PLEASE BE WARNED!!!!!
To file for your claim,Please contact our fiduciary agent with the below details for processing of your claims.

AGENT:
Mr Tony Smith
tony_smith@uknationallotteryresults.com
U.K NATIONAL LOTTERY

NKL Direct developed a mathematical system that improves our players’ chances of winning one of the richest, tax free, lump sum lotteries in the world - The UK National Lotto, which has had a jackpot prize as high as £42,000,000 GBP (65,000,000 EUR).NKL’s e-Lottery system is already working for thousands of members across the globe.Our results so far how 2474 syndicate wins and 121226 individual winnings payouts from just 229 Lotto draws. Whether you have or never played a lottery before, or you are a lottery expert, we have a system that is Simple -Convenient-Affordable - and Fun! You have A Big Advantage.Playing by yourself with a single entry, your odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 14 million. The good news is, playing the e-Lottery system dramatically increases your chances of scooping the jackpot by 86% and you also have a 1 in 13 chance of winning any prize.You only need 5 main numbers to WIN the JACKPOT, when everybody else needs 6 main numbers.This is a huge advantage!! To avoid unnecessary delays and complications, please quote your reference/batch numbers in any correspondences with us or our designated agent.Congratulations once more from all members and staffs of this program. Thank you for being part of our promotional lottery program.

Attached here is a copy of our verifications form,please fill accordingly so as to proceed with the claiming of your winnings.

1. FULL
NAMES:____________________________________________

2. DATE OF
BIRTH:____________________________________________ ___

3. SEX:________________________

4. MARITAL

5.CONTACT ADDRESS:__________________________________

6.TELEPHONE
NUMBER:__________________________________

7.OCCUPATION:_____________________________________ __________

8.BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF
COMPANY/INDIVIDUAL:_/_________________________________________

9.AMOUNT WON___________________________________
Please send the fully filled out form to your fiduciary agent.
Upon reciept of the duly requested datas,your fiduciary agent will send to you the contact information of the payment office so you
can proceed with effecting the release of your claim
in anyway you deem fit.

Goodluck from me and members of staff of the UK
NATIONAL ONLINE LOTTERY.
Yours faithfully,
Richard K. Lloyd.
Online coordinator for UK NATIONAL LOTTERY
Sweepstakes International Program.

As you read this, I don't want you to feel sorry for me, because, I believe everyone will die someday. I am Rt.Col.Sadiq Udey a merchant in Zimbabwe and Qatar.I have been diagnosed with Esophageal cancer.It has defiled all forms of medical treatment, and right now I have only about a few time to live, according to my doctors report. I have always lived a happy life, and cared for my fellow brothers whenever I can assist.
My time is almost up, I have willed and given most of my property and assets to my immediate and extended family members. I want God to be merciful to me and accept my soul so,I have decided to give also to charity organizations, as I want this to be one of the last good deeds I do on earth.Now that my health has deteriorated so badly,I cannot do this myself and as such requedted for your help as my immediate relative are becoming very greedy and wishing me bad for my good I have done for them.
I once asked members of my family to close one of my accounts and distribute the money which I have there to charity organization in Qatar but they refused and kept the money to themselves. Hence, I do not trust them anymore, as they seem not to be contented with what I have left for them. The last of my money non of them have an ideal about is a fixed deposit of $19,500,000.00 USD that I have with a HANG SENG BANK HONG KONG.
I will want you to help me transfer this deposit into safe custody and dispatched it to charity organizations.I will tell you how to go about this charity project when I hear from you and after only being fully convinced about your committment to this for I will reward you from my heart.
forward your response to me here: sadiqudey1@yahoo.co.uk
Rt.Col.Sadiq Udey

What?

Sep 23, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

These guys need to improve their grammar.

I think they do that on purpose. Either to "prove" the sender is foreign or to give the "mark" the feeling he's smarter than the sender so he will be able to get a large chunk of the money. All these scams are meant to appeal to the mark's greed.

Sep 23, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 16
Makes sense . . anyways, do people still fall for these? I understand how someone new to the pc world might, but the avg. computer user would be too smart, right? It's hard to believe people are continuing with this type of scam. I'm just glad I don't trust either man or machine in general.
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 16
You'd be surprised at how many people still get suckered by these things. We get not only typical numbnuts but seemingly educated people like general managers and managing directors of companies falling for these, as do professionals like lawyers and accountants who, of all people, should know much better.

No accounting for plain greed, I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 16
I've heard radio reports of people foolishly flying to Africa to find out where their money went to and getting killed.

Sep 23, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 16
scam #2 is the clear loser here. They don't state their intentions. They want you to use their bankaccount but what will happen from there? Will the money stay in your account?

scam#1 that opening sentence, please!

scam#3 No such thing as winning a lottery that you didn't enter in. Although if you promise enough $$$ people will overlook that pretty easily.

scam#4 winner.
Terminally ill. Greedy family but he keeps on looking for a solution. Abroad non the less even though his English is bad. And he trusts you, the fool! HA!
For any further details you need to contact him. Great oppertunity for you to get the upper hand. Who's gonna know, he's dying anyway. Better act fast before it's too late.

I can't believe anyone would fall for this. Greed is as blind as love?!?

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 16
Why is it so hard to track these scum down? I don't know much about IP addresses etc but I'd think the authorities could post fake info and catch at least a few of these guys.
CPW

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 16
The problems I believe is that these scammers are targeting Americans from abroad. They are based in countries that have much bigger problems than hunting down confidence men that took some stupid Americans for a few thousand dollars.

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
I think they do that on purpose. (...)

I don't think so. Considering that even the numerous fishing mails I get every day at the office contain quite a lot of mistakes, I'd rather assume they can't do any better.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: And yes, there really seems to be a flood of Nigerian (and compatible) scam mails lately...

Oct 1, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 16
Received this one this morning. They're getting more creative all the time.

Re: Incredible Job Offer. US only.

Dear Candidate,

International Health Care Inc., since 1990, is a privately owned British Company,
with offices in London and manufacturing facilities in Sheffield.
International Health Care Inc. is based in the center of London, and offers
a rapid delivery service to all customers worldwide. The IHC instrument
and prosthetic loan system is increasingly popular and assists our new customers
to become familiar with any surgical procedure at low cost. Forty percent
of the total Company business is export with worldwide distribution.
The Company has been certified by the American Board for Certification
in Orthotics and Prosthetics since 1996. International Health Care Inc. continues
to excel in the fabrication and delivery of endoskeleton and exoskeleton-style
lower extremity prostheses and mayo-electric and body powered
upper extremity prostheses. We also provide a full range of orthotic products
and supplies. The cornerstone of the Company's philosophy is compassionate,
personal service with synergetic reliance on experience and continuing education.

IHC's manufacturing unit in Sheffield is staffed by men and women from the
heart of the highly skilled British Steel industry, and is also equipped
with the most modern computerized CNC machinery and measuring technology.
This ensures the high quality of implants and instruments on which hospitals
and surgeons alike have come to depend.

In December 1991, IHC received certification for ISO 9001:1994
and EN 46001:1993 quality systems. In April 1995 IHC Ceramics demonstrated
compliance of the Supravit. Hydroxyapatite Ceramic Coating to all relevant
standards. All products produced and coated by IHC are entitled to carry
the much sought after CE Mark.

We care to explain to you thoroughly the entire process that will possibly
be the best job you will ever have. This job is possible because our
company Internationals Health Care has its headquarters in London, UK.
As such we do not yet have stores or an alternative store in the United States.
Until then we will always need representatives in the U.S. to take care
of some financial matters. The problem we are facing is time. The time necessary
for our company to receive the funds paid by our customers from U.S. by checks
and money orders. It takes approximately 2 to 3 weeks including shipping
to clear these checks in Europe. We need to clear the checks and money orders
inside U.S. and then have the funds transferred to our company in U.K.
by other means. This is where you can help us. It would speed up
the process tenfold. We have already made a signed agreement with the U.S.
officials and we are paying all the necessary taxes for our business.
We will send you a 1099 Form for tax deduction on your part. This job is official
and legal according to the U.S. legislation as it is today.

The process itself involves answering e-mails a couple of times per day
and going to a bank. This job does not require any kind of experience.
It only requires access to the Internet and knowledge to send e-mails.
First step in this job is for you to wait at home for checks/money orders
sent by our customers on your name as per our instructions.
For this to be possible we need your basic personal info such as full name,
full address and name of the bank you will use for cashing the checks.
If anyone asks for those on our behalf please do not give out this info.
After you receive the checks/money orders you will have to go to the bank
to cash them. This will happen of course after the bank clears them.
The time to clear the checks depends on the bank. We suggest that you use
a major bank that takes a minimum of time to do so. We also need you
to use your personal or business bank account to speed up the process.
There is not need for a special bank account to make this happen and creating
a new account will slow down the process. After you have cash in hand you
will have to contact us at the same e-mail address and then you will receive
additional instructions on how to send the money to us. We do not provide
a phone number yet because we have many collaborators. For basic information
we will have to use e-mails. Phone support is only for more sensitive issues
that might appear after signing the contract. We will support any fees
involved from receiving, cashing and transferring the money to our company.
Your commission and salary are not subject to any fee deduction.
The 5% off of each check/money order and the monthly $1800
are your net income.

We do make background research on all the international customers before we
sell our products. We also verify the checks for funds availability before
it arrives to you. In an outstanding case of any problem, we offer a full
guarantee to cover the fees. That way you can feel absolutely protected and safe.

To begin this job we need your FULL NAME AND ADDRESS via email for payments
that will be mailed (shipped) to you and a FAX or a scanned copy of your
signed contract via e-mail. Please follow these instructions exactly,
everything that is written in red is a must:

1. Fill in the following information and send it to us by e-mail:

Full name:
The address :
City, State, Zip code:
Phone number:
E-mail address:

Please, ensure us a constant contact. Inform us all telephone numbers
and time, when you are available.

Due to the fact that we receive tens of faxes per day please confirm
that you have done so and also send your personal info that you filled
in the contract via e-mail.

Pat Conroy
Administrative Director
International Health Care
Fax: (323) 301-0101
(323) 302-0202
(323) 306-4044
E-mail: ihc_work@consultant.com

Aug 25, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 16
I believe I can help you put a stop to the fax.

Cut off about a yard of fax paper, loop in the machine it and fasten with tape, fax them at what would be night there and let run the loop.

They won't have the paper left to fax you by morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back