Nicknames for Sony NWZ Axxx
May 1, 2008 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

silverknit3

100+ Head-Fier
Any ideas for a short and sweet nickname? I'd use walkman but that's commonly associated with the tape players way back when. Any idea on what a cool nickname is? Something simple and short like iPod or Zen or even Zune.

May 1, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 20
fascinating. hahaha im loving the ideas. keep them flowing. and I'd love to call it sexmuffin. hey guess what guys? my girlfriend ahs my sexmuffin. "friends: oh.. haha really?"

May 1, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 20
... i am sorry, but why a nickname? it's not like the model number is long and hard to say.

wouldn't saying something like sony 818 be more convenient?
i think it's fine to drop the "A" if you include sony.
sony eight blah sounds better than A eight blah.

May 1, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 20
Sony dropped the ball on this one. There's a reason iPod, Zune, and Zen are the most well known players...simple brand names. iAudio, iRiver, or iAnything just sounds like a rip-off, but Sony already has a well known brand name: Walkman! They had such a good opportunity to revive the Walkman, it wouldn't even be that hard. Plus, they had the advantage of bringing back retro/nostalgia/the original coming back to take back the throne without being labeled a copycat since Walkmans precede the iPod. Instead they went with some complicated crappy numbering scheme like NWZaXXX to get shuffled in the ocean of other mp3 players. It could do so much more...

May 1, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 20
well, the player's name is actually Sony Walkman NWZ-A818. though, i agree with you that they could make the "walkman" brand more essential in the products. but they are including the walkman name and logo in every DAP...

May 1, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 20
I actually find Sony made an effort to capitalise the trademark "Walkman". Remember when "Discman" is renamed "CD Walkman"? Then it continued nicely as "MD Walkman". The earlier DAP are actually named "Network Walkman". Now We have the Sony Ericsson Walkman phones. The Walkman logo is still found in all DAP and Walkman phones today, including the stock earphone.

I'm not aware of any popularly circulated nickname for iPod and such, and it's not like Walkman doesn't already have a name. But if I want to name it, I'd call it Hershey's bar, it's long and thin.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 20
How about "Second banana", since it always comes 2nd or 3rd to Ipod's in sales?

Joking.

Seriously though, I think sticking to the Walkman name is a good idea. Though it would be pretty cool if Sony developed a FLAC-only player, and named it FLACman.

May 2, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Name it after a nickname for an illegal drug.
This should be fun!

I think MarijuanaMan is a little farfetch. hahaha I guess we could stick with Walkman. Network Walkman sounds KIND of cool but its way too long to fall under simple. Then again wouldn't it be pretty kickass to say "hey i got a sony network in my pocket." just drop the walkman completely. ahaha "want to listen to my walkman?" I kinda miss the atrac days. It was fun saying wanna listen to my Atrac player?

May 2, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #15 of 20
well,

I totally agree that the walkman name should be kept. It's probably one of the most known brands in the world!!!

Though the specific names for the various types could be better than just some numbers etc.

The new walkman could be named ''walkman -insert name- ''

If they do this right, the sony name isn't needed anymore since ppl would automatically recognise Walkman as a sony product just like ipod is know as an apple product.

greetz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back