Nickel Vs. Gold?
Apr 6, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #16 of 19
totally an aesthetic choice unless your very regularly unplugging and re plugging (which shouldn't happen with headphones). Gold looks better so higher resale value, although older hi-fi gear tends to use nickel (probably due to durability).

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I placed an order for the Nickel neutrik jacks but from searching the forums, a lot of people have gotten the nickel by mistake and are furious. are the gold plugs really that much better? I would like to think that I didn't mess up and they will be the limiting factor for my cables. What is everyone's take on this?

Gold plating is for non tarnishing and for nothing else. All Canare plugs are nickel and they are a pretty smart company.

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #19 of 19
Gold makes a lot of sense in a harsh, corrosive environments. Like if you live within spitting distance of the ocean. Say, on a boat. Like if you were in the navy.

Otherwise, unless the contacts in the socket are gold too, arguably the electrolytic difference between gold and tin or nickel negates whatever conductivity gain you were hoping to get from gold plating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back