Nickel Oxy Hydride batteries
Nov 26, 2006 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought some batteries blindly the other day from my local Circuit City. They were in a blue package and were expensive, so I assumed they were lithium batteries. However, when I got them home, the package said they were in fact nickel oxy hydride, a type I haven't heard of before. I got Duracell Power Pix, but there are others. Duracell claims that these batteries put out more voltage than normal alkalines. After listening to my Sony PCDP, it sounds like it has more SOMETHING than an ordinary alkaline, so I imagine the extra voltage is providing a clearer sound. Any engineer types know more and are willing to share?

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought some batteries blindly the other day from my local Circuit City. They were in a blue package and were expensive, so I assumed they were lithium batteries. However, when I got them home, the package said they were in fact nickel oxy hydride, a type I haven't heard of before. I got Duracell Power Pix, but there are others. Duracell claims that these batteries put out more voltage than normal alkalines. After listening to my Sony PCDP, it sounds like it has more SOMETHING than an ordinary alkaline, so I imagine the extra voltage is providing a clearer sound. Any engineer types know more and are willing to share?

Here's a data sheet for the Duracell Power Pix AA batteries.

http://www.duracell.com/oem/Pdf/new/ZR6_1500_OS.pdf

The voltage isn't much higher than a regular AA alkaline, but it looks to have higher capacity.

Just a guess, but this battery technology may have lower internal series resistance, and hence can better keep up with current surges from musical transients. Kind of like a PS upgrade.

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 3
Hm. I remember reading here that that internal resistance thing was important.

Anyone from the DIY forums leave their house long enough to slum it with the average people here, and are willing to chime in on this technology?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back