Nickel Creek - This Side... My best sounding album?
Mar 2, 2007 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm listening to this album right now and I really can't believe that I've never noticed this album is probably one of my top 5 best recordings. It's incredibly dynamic and suits my Grados very well. It's definately not harsh, but I would say it's pleasantly bright. Both Sarah and Chris' voices are very very forward and lifelike, which is something I find lacking from a lot of other bluegrass albums, with the exception of Alison Krauss' latest albums (she produced this album as well). Anyhow, I'm sure a lot of you have stuff you like the sound of better, but if you have this album put it on and listen for quality. It's stunning.

Top 5 Recordings I Own:

1. Nickel Creek - 'This Side'
2. Alison Krauss - 'Forget About It', 'Lonely Runs Both Ways', and 'AK&US Live'
3. Erik Clapton - 'Unplugged'
4. Bela Fleck - 'Tales From The Acoustic Planet v.II The Bluegrass Sessions' and 'Perpetual Motion'
5. New Grass Revial - 'Best of New Grass Revival' (I know it's a best of, but really it's just a combination of the best songs from their last two albums).

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Did you know This Side is available as a hybrid SACD?
icon10.gif

If you think the CD sounds good.....

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you know This Side is available as a hybrid SACD?
icon10.gif

If you think the CD sounds good.....

I didn't know that. Honestly, I'm really not interested in the SACD format. If it is significantly better than the CD, then I guess I'll just have to miss out. Is the SACD really that much better in regular stereo?

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 6
This thread was about to fall off the page and I kinda wanted to save it. I updated my top 5 so now I'm sure it's much more interesting. Lol.
blink.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 6
Ingo,

How is "This Side" compare against "Why Should the Fire Die?", both SQ-wise and musically? I've been meaning to pick up their early work, but at least I have a new reason to do so.
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ingo,

How is "This Side" compare against "Why Should the Fire Die?", both SQ-wise and musically? I've been meaning to pick up their early work, but at least I have a new reason to do so.
tongue.gif

I personally was really dissappointed with 'Why Should The Fire Die?' as far as the music goes. I got flamed on Amazon.com for writing a review expressing how I felt about it. Basically, I got into Nickel Creek's music because I'm a fan of Bluegrass music, modern and traditional. Nickel Creek's first albums were a lot more "bluegrassy" than 'WSTFD?'. I know a lot of their fans didn't come to love Nickel Creek from that direction so I totally understand why people like 'Why Should The Fire Die?'.

As far as sound quality, whoever mixed it had a different approach stylistically than whoever mixed 'This Side'. 'WSTFD?' is a bit warmer than 'This Side', IMO. I prefer the sound of 'This Side', but I don't know about it being too much better technically. Really, all of Nickel Creek's albums are head and shoulders above most modern recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back