Nickchen's DIY grado liberators
May 30, 2008 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

4ki

100+ Head-Fier
A lot of talk in the MS-1 to MS-1000 thread prompted him to post what he had done to create his many pairs of woodie distancers; I felt that it'd be a good idea to post his quote and let this be stickied sometime
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's an extended copy of the PM I sent to apatN, maybe someone in the US gets his *** up to build some distancers for North America. I've calculated it through, shipping distancers from EU to the US would be much too expensive with the actual exchange rates and shipping costs. 60-70$ for a set would be just banana IMO.

[size=medium]MY WAY TO BUILD DISTANCERS[/size]

The distancers get built by means of a drill saw thingway you can buy at every DIY store. Don't let the drill run too fast, the wood gets burned as to be seen on pic 3 below. Moreover, let the drill cool down in between. I was close to blowing my drill up with these jobs.
Meanwhile, I don't use the electric drill any more, I've organized myself a super oldfashioned hand drill at Ebay which lets me work more carefully.
xP1010003-1.jpg

You work out tubes with an inner diameter of 4cm, as long as possible without destroying your drill. Later, you cut slices from that tube.
xP1010004.jpg

Easiest way to achieve the fold for the pad is to build a 2nd tube that is a bit thicker. You cut a slice from each tube and glue them together. Then you grind everything down until you have a total length of 1,3 cm.
xP1010005.jpg

You need a bit time to make everything smooth, it's worth the effort, as too rough wood surface would propably harm the pads...
xP1010088.jpg

You just glue the distancer to the surface, where the original pads had been fixed. Best thing for that is epoxy. Take care that the distancer sits really tight and shows no gaps.
xP1010013.jpg

Finally, you need a piece of felt and glue it to the inner side of the distancer - it tames the highs.

I think this guy deserves an award
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back