Nick Cave appreciation thread
Mar 10, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
It's really weird for me to hear Nick Cave singing about God. I guess I'm used to him singing about the devil ("Up Jumped the Devil and he staked his claim on me").

As for that album, "Love Letter" is one of my absolute favorite Nick Cave songs. Right up there with "The Ship Song" and "Straight to You," his other great ballads.

-jar

he's obsessed with god and christianity. he even wrote an essay or introduction for the gospel of mark in some bible series.

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
he's obsessed with god and christianity. he even wrote an essay or introduction for the gospel of mark in some bible series.

Yea, but is it from a scholarly point of view or has he gone and given his life to jesus?

-jar

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Yea, but is it from a scholarly point of view or has he gone and given his life to jesus?

-jar

i've always wondered that, myself. since i'm not too familiar with his lyrics since the mid-90s, i can't say whether he's evolved... but i figure him to have a pretty tortured, ambivalent, love-hate relationship with christianity.

he was raised anglican and sang in the church choir. but he obviously went "dark-sided" with The Birthday Party, booze and heroin.

sin, repentance, forgiveness, god and jesus are everywhere in his lyrics essentially from the beginning, and he's obviously read and studied the bible many times over, as obscure biblical quotes and allegories are ubiquitous.

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

I've recently ordered "No More Shall We Part" based on recommendations in another Head-Fi thread. I had never heard Nick Cave and didn't know what to expect at all. Perhaps it was a little too late at night because I remember feeling tired and sort of "suffering" through it on the first spin.

That's one of his worst albums, IMO, Wayne. There are basically 2 Nick Caves, one soft, reflective, piano-based but narcotized on downers, the other drunk, drugged-out on speed, and ferocious with a killer full-band behind him out for blood. The new one, the 2CD set is excellent, one of his best in years; it's a lot "harder" than No More Shall We Part, which was a poor Scott Walker pastiche. I'm all for saluting the dude in my avatar, but you need to bring some better songs to the party if you're trying to compete on that level.

Still, I agree, he's not for everyone, a bit one-dimensional in a way, but if you like that dimesnion, you'll be really into it.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #20 of 25
yeha i love nick cave too, but his more mellow side, over the killing women side of his past music. i know he is more than just a musician but an accomplish artist in other area.

this might sound gay, but do anyone have recommendation for similar music that is more...adult oriented or insight style, like nick cave. as opposite to youth theme music.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

this might sound gay, but do anyone have recommendation for similar music that is more...adult oriented or insight style, like nick cave. as opposite to youth theme music.

Two words: Leonard Cohen. Get his 2CD Essential as a starter kit.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx

More gay? Ya mean like a Nick Cave musical or something? Some show tunes? Maybe a duet with Bette Midler?

Hehehe, have you heard the Tindersticks? Second album is my favorite. Kind of the same melancholy musical territory. Great recording. Black Heart Procession? A lot of that southern Gothic spirit with them. Try #2. How bout Willard Grant Conspiracy. The last one called Regard the End is brilliant. The latest David Sylvian is outstanding too. Credited to Nine Horses and the name of the CD is Snow Borne Sorrow. I love Sunset & Void by The Flaming Stars too. And the latest by The National called Alligator. Mark Lanegan? Andrew Bird? Check out the Folklore album by Sixteen Horsepower for some of that same hellfire and brimstone that Nick Cave sings about. This could go on for days
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #23 of 25
Tindersticks is a good recommendation. Great group I like Simple Pleasures and Can Our Love for their warmer soulful newer stuff, Curtains for their more stark older stuff.

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #25 of 25
the one i find closest to nick cave's mellow side is mark lanegan on his solo albums. wild men with a wild past and a very sinister outlook... even their themes are sometimes similar (less christian images with lanegan, but the guilt and mysticism is there all the same.)

for those who prefer cave's good son/henry's dream-period (hi masonjar
biggrin.gif
), lanegan's latest ('bubblegum') is my recommendation, as is anything by the afghan whigs ('black love' especially).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back