Nice Hex/torx type bolts for project case.
Jun 20, 2003 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

london luke

100+ Head-Fier
trying to source noce hex/torx /allen key type bolts to use instead of horrid little cross thread screws!!

pref Uk... But USA no problems.

Thank you

Jun 20, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 9
Check your local higher end bicycle shop. They'll usually have tons of hex & some torx bolts of various sizes lying around. The bike shop I work at has thousands of bolts sitting around in bins, I'd imagine that many bike shops are like that too.

Jun 20, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Don't know how it is in the UK, but there are plenty of places that specialize in fasteners around here (a mid-size American city). I buy most of my hardware from a place called Pinellas Fastener - black oxide, stainless steel, cap head, socket head, whatever. My last purchase was for a hundred black oxide socket-head (i.e. - Allen) 4-40x3/8" screws - cost me about $2.50US.

Not exactly convenient for you, but the point was to give you an idea of where to look. The small specialty shops reign supreme in stuff like this, so they won't likely succumb to the Tesco-effect (using a place you'd be familiar with; on my side of the pond we'd say "WalMart effect").

Bike shops will likely have socket-head screws in stock, but they'll be pricey and probably in a limited range (M6 at the very smallest, I'd guess).

Jun 20, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 9
jeffreyj

Cheers for a great reply. When i visit USA i spend days in Walmart ans Sears!!!!

Fantastic places.

have you got contact details for this place????

Cheers

Luke

Jun 20, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 9
london luke: The folks at Pinellas Fastener would probably hang up on you thinking it was a practical joke if you called them up wanting some bolts delivered to the UK!

I did a quick google search that turned up this company in the uk: Fastenright, ltd. . It must be cheaper to have them mailed from there than it would be from here!

Jun 21, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 9
I don't exactly know where to get them from, but there's a product here in australia that allows you to replace most of the bolts in your motorcycle with aircraft-grade, anodized titanium bolts of various types (hex, allen, torx, etc). They look very smart. Ask around at your local motorcycle dealers; they may be able to help you.

Jun 21, 2003 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by london luke
trying to source noce hex/torx /allen key type bolts to use instead of horrid little cross thread screws!!

pref Uk... But USA no problems.

Thank you

Also try hobby shops, especially larger ones that carry parts for R/C cars. They will have at minimum titanium, and possibly more exotic alloys. They are also a good source for model paints (of course) for touching up the bolt heads. You also can often find raw aluminum and carbon fiber blanks at the better shops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back