Nice game, US clips Canada 5-3.
Feb 22, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #16 of 43
That was one of the best hockey games I have watched in a long time, Miller was just WOW, and Canada put a lot of pressure on but just couldn't get it in the net and as far as "riding a hot goalie" I think if you look at the game again you will see that what the US did was play their positions and stick to the game plan very well, there were only a few times that the lines had the moth effect (everyone heads for the puck like a moth to a light), Canada has no reason to feel down about the game they played great but it just wasn't their night

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3adeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if you look at the game again you will see that what the US did was play their positions and stick to the game plan very well,

Good post, I'm somewhat of a Hockey novice, so may I ask what exactly was the game plan of the U.S.?

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brodeur's time as Canada's goalie has to come to an end. He earned his chance based on his resume, but time to pass the torch to Luongo...or Fluery?Canada needs a big game goalie. Playoff wins over the last two seasons for Brodeur? 4. For Luongo? 6. Fleury? 30! Maybe he gets a chance? Doubt it, but a shake up is needed. The Canucks fan in me is calling for Luongo!

No Doubt Brodeur has to go. He played horribly in the game against the Swiss, I dont know how he got the nod for the USA game. He is just all over the place in net, he can make one save but hes horrible when it comes to rebounds. That goal when he smacked it out the the US D and they shot it, what the hell kind of attempt for a save was that. Hes looks like a street hockey goalie out there. He can play the puck well which does help, but we need saves more. Other than that great game, glad to see the younger D playing more they played very well, and the forwards speak for themselves you cant complain.

Great game for Miller though, cant wait to see US go against Sweden. Two hot goalies going head to head should be close. As for Canada, Germany better be an easy win, but Russia will be a good game

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good post, I'm somewhat of a Hockey novice, so may I ask what exactly was the game plan of the U.S.?

Play your position and not freelance yourself to the puck and be prepared to get back and defend, make smart passes and take the body in the corners

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 43
Regardless of who wins what, the exposure to this level of competition will help the kids develop. The Blues have Backes, E Johnson and Polak on squads and the confidence gained should equate to stepping it up for the final run to the playoffs.

While I'm greedy in saying I don't like stopping the season, I don't know how else to handle the issue. The best players in the world play professional hockey. They have to be given the chance to play. But what if they get hurt with their team fighting for a playoff spot or a team that was playing well before the break can't get the mojo working? The team revenues are going to be impacted because the casual fan is already looking to March madness, NASCAR, baseball, etc. I'd be surprised to see the NHL do this again.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 43
My biology teacher (a Canadian) had a moment of silence for our class today.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3adeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Canada has no reason to feel down about the game they played great

Aside from our goalie, who I would argue was at least indirectly responsible for 3 of the 4 goals scored on him. What in the hell was that?

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless of who wins what, the exposure to this level of competition will help the kids develop. The Blues have Backes, E Johnson and Polak on squads and the confidence gained should equate to stepping it up for the final run to the playoffs.

While I'm greedy in saying I don't like stopping the season, I don't know how else to handle the issue. The best players in the world play professional hockey. They have to be given the chance to play. But what if they get hurt with their team fighting for a playoff spot or a team that was playing well before the break can't get the mojo working? The team revenues are going to be impacted because the casual fan is already looking to March madness, NASCAR, baseball, etc. I'd be surprised to see the NHL do this again.

The NHL better damn well keep doing this, why not its been working for 16 years now why stop. They have been saying the NHL might not go to Russia next Olympics, I think thats absolutly ridiculious. Ya it might hurt the team revenues, but if they are that worried why not just keep the NHL going and call up your AHL reserves to fill the spots, it would help those players devlop a bit give them some more experience. If the players want to go they should have every right to go, like Ovechkin said "NHL or not im going to be there". But no the NHL revolves around the everyday American who doesnt really care about the game, and we'll do anything we can to make them happy... new NHL blows

All in all, I would much rather watch Olympic hockey than some regular season NHL games.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #27 of 43
I remember watching the last olympics and thinking we should have sent our Juniors up.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #28 of 43
That was definitely one of the best hockey games I've seen in ages. I completely agree with the op that Miller was stunning, but the whole US team was playing hard. Just check out the comparison in rosters for talent and experience. Canada should have wasted the US, but couldn't make it happen. Canada had its stars, but the US had a team.

Canada should take Germany, no problem, but we'll see. If they do win, they'll be up against the Russians in the quarterfinals, and whoever loses will be out. Who would have predicted that! All I know is that's going to be one amazing, all-out game I don't want to miss. If Canada is to have a shot, Luongo, or even Fleury, needs to be in the net, but I still don't see it.

As far as the NHL not letting players go to the Olympics...bah. This kind of play, and this kind of attention is exactly what hockey needs.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #30 of 43
U.S. now has a breeze towards the gold-medal game. Easiest guarantee for a silver medal ever.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back