NHT SB1 sufficient as stand-alones?
Feb 18, 2004 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

insomniac

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking into picking up a pair of stand-alone bookshelf speakers in the $200-$300 range. I had my eye on the NHT SB1's because they're small and magnetically shielded, in addition to some rave reviews here. But are they sufficient as stand-alone speakers? Will I be able to get by without a sub? This will be primarily for music but some movies as well.

If not, what speakers in my range have the best bass?

Thanks

Feb 18, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks, soundboy.

The speakers I am considering are:

NHT SuperOnes
NHT SB-1
NHT SB-2
Axiom M3ti
Axiom M2i
Paradigm Atom
PSB Alpha B

Not sure which ones work best as stand alones with good bass. If they all seem relatively similar, which seems to be the case after searching the forum, I might just go with the cheapest ones. That seems to be the Atoms at under $200/pair.

Any testimonials for any of the above?

Feb 18, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 19
I used to own the NHT SuperOne and I consider it one of the best inexpensive speaker ever made. It doesn't go very low and it sounded recessed....but somehow it just sounded right. Maybe it was my amp (an Sony stereo integrated amp) or my room (a small den). Both the SuperOne and SB2 are acoustic suspension designs, so there're no ports to deal with. In exchange for that, you will lose some efficiency, so you will need quality amps to power them. The SB2 is much better, overall, than the SuperOne....better bass, smoother mids and highs, and better looking.

I actually had a local dealer for Axiom speakers....they don't do it for me. Same with B&W 303s.

Have not listened to latest versions of Paradigm Atoms or Titans. The previous version of the Titan was very good though. O also owned the Paradigm Mini-Monitor at one time....too boomy and sterile. At least to my ears.

I have read good things about the Epos ELS-3....you may want to try those. Another inexpensive small speaker you may try is the Energy C-1; I replaced these with the NHT SB2. Can't pass up a good deal like the one I got with the SB2.

Seen the review of the NHT SB1 at CNET.com yet?

Feb 18, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 19
I've heard the SuperOnes in a TV-based system, and they're great! The SB-series is said to be an upgrade from the Super series, however I'd still probably recommend upgrading to the SB-2 without a sub.

I've been considering buying a pair of SB-3's myself. Said to pair extremely well with my NAD 320BEE.

-dd3mon

Feb 19, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 19
Erm, I probably shouldn't be posting this, but I have my pair of PSB Image 2b's in the gear forum...

Feb 19, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 19
I know...maybe I can dig up a box or something...

Feb 19, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 19
vrao81, the Monitor Audio Bronze B1's do seem nice but it seems like it is not magnetically shielded which I do need. Forgot to mention that.

ooheadsoo, thanks for the offer but I think I will pass.

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vrao81
I'd suggest the Monitor Audio Bronze B1, which retails for $259. It replaces the highly regarded Bronze 1, which was reviewed here .

Just stumbled across this thread haven't visited head-fi in awhile. Anyway, that review was very interesting. It made me wonder what kind of amp they were using with the speakers. (The article did not say)

My SB-1's sound like they are describing only when they are underpowered. Yes the base is a tiny bit lacking but it is tighter than anything when powered with the right amp.

Also as insomniac said the Magnetic shielding is an important feature for those of us with very little room and lots of electronics.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jamie

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 19
I'd highly recommend taking a look at Omega.

If you like "music" and not "audio" you'll DEFINITELY want to take a look at Omega.

No crossover = MORE MUSIC!

I did a demo of them recently and I was just amazed. I'd recommend checking out your nearest dealer for a test-drive .. they were just phenominal (this is referring to the 1000 dollar Grande 8R's though)

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 19
I agree the SB-1s are great. I use them as my computer speakers hooked up through a Korsun U2 integrated amp. I think for a significant step up in sound, you'd have to look at Totem model 1s.

Oh and of course NHTs look a lot better than all the Axiom/Paradigm/etc speakers in the price range too
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
The speakers I am considering are:

NHT SuperOnes
NHT SB-1
NHT SB-2
Axiom M3ti
Axiom M2i
Paradigm Atom
PSB Alpha B

Of these, I have NHT SuperOnes, PSB Alphas, and Paradigm Mini-Monitors (one product line up and 1" larger driver than the Atoms, but still under $400). Of the three, I much prefer the Paradigms.

The PSBs are out. Not that they're bad speakers, quite impactful for their size/price, but boomy in the bass and a bit grainy in the highs compared to the others.

The Paradigms I don't think are really better speakers than the NHTs, but they're a lot more fun to listen to IMO. The NHTs are more accurate through the midrange, and they roll off nicely at each end. They may actually best the Paradigms for classical music, but for rock, jazz, reggae, hip-hop, electronica, etc. the bass and the dynamic, rhythmic character of the Mini Monitors blows them away.

I'm sure NHT has improved things with the new SB series (they certainly look great). Also, the acoustic suspension design makes them a lot easier to position.

Just noticed that this thread is pretty old...did you get anything yet, or are you still shopping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back