NHL: back on the ice.....
Jul 15, 2005 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Genetic

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/cba/

24-per-cent salary rollback......hum.....I wonder what will be the impact on the players performance.....
tongue.gif

Amicalement

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 21
Here's the fun rule changes:

1) Red line is "gone", so 2-line passes are now allowed
2) Shootouts if games still tied after overtime during the regular season
3) Smaller goalie equipment

Other proposed changes:

3 on 3 overtime
2nd overtime period in regular season games

Thoughts

This contract is the end of the NHL, it guarantees that top players will be traded around even more than they already are which makes it worthless to cheer for your team. I can't get excited about a team where half the members change every year, <censored> that <censored>.

They also want to add more teams to the playoffs, and stick in another round as well. <censored> that, I'm not watching hockey in July, the season's already too long as it is.

If they want to fix the game and make it fun to watch again, here's what they need to do.

1) Crack down hard on holding, hooking, and interference. Players right now spend more time clutching, grabbing, and getting in the way than anything else. It slows down the game and makes it boring and unwatchable.

2) Get rid of the instigator rule. This way cheapshot artists can once again get their <censored> pounded into the ice, and as we all know, fights are <censored> entertaining. Cheapshot artists are cowards, and if they know they're going to get a beating they'll shape up.

3) Move to the international size ice rinks. You can't grind it out in the corners for 10 minutes and get nowhere like they do on NHL rinks.

4) Dump the worthless <censored> hick teams that have no hope of ever making a profit.

In 6 years we're going to be back to where we were last fall. Guaranteed.

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
the wings are gonna be screwed...with the cap they cant afford to keep anyone...

LOL.....corporate lawyers will split the team in three groups T-1, T-2, T-3, than will share.... I mean «trade» ressources nights after nights....
eek.gif

Amicalement

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius

This contract is the end of the NHL, it guarantees that top players will be traded around even more than they already are which makes it worthless to cheer for your team. I can't get excited about a team where half the members change every year, <censored> that <censored>.

We'll have to wait and see on that...one other part of the deal is that trading will be similar to the NBA where the salaries of the players being traded must be within 10 percent of each other (or something along those lines...) meaning that the trade dead line will be even worse for rumors with little action to back it up. Basically, we probably wont be seeing big name players being dealt for some young guys and a few draft picks...

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Here's the fun rule changes:

1) Red line is "gone", so 2-line passes are now allowed
2) Shootouts if games still tied after overtime during the regular season
3) Smaller goalie equipment

1) I like the lack of 2-line passes in international games, so I welcome this.
2) Meh, I don't need shootouts. I guess a lot of fans want decisive winners in every game, but I do enjoy a hard fought tie. I think shootouts tend to cheapen a tied game. It can make it feel arbitrary, like the rest of the game didn't even matter.
3) I don't mind this. Sure beats that proposed "bloated" goal. That thing looked ridiculous.

Quote:

Other proposed changes:

3 on 3 overtime
2nd overtime period in regular season games

I think overtyime is fine the way it is in the regular season.

I heard rumblings about widening the blue line, and I think that's a nice subtle way of enhancing the game. Aren't they trying that in the AHL?

Quote:

I hear that... It really bums me out that Bondra won't be retiring as a Cap.

Quote:

They also want to add more teams to the playoffs, and stick in another round as well. <censored> that, I'm not watching hockey in July, the season's already too long as it is.

Heh... I'll watch hockey in July. But adding another round is just a cynical way of trying to tap into more cash in markets with C+ teams. I don't like the idea of lowering standards to be more inclusive in the playoffs.

Quote:

If they want to fix the game and make it fun to watch again, here's what they need to do.

1) Crack down hard on holding, hooking, and interference. Players right now spend more time clutching, grabbing, and getting in the way than anything else. It slows down the game and makes it boring and unwatchable.

2) Get rid of the instigator rule. This way cheapshot artists can once again get their <censored> pounded into the ice, and as we all know, fights are <censored> entertaining. Cheapshot artists are cowards, and if they know they're going to get a beating they'll shape up.

3) Move to the international size ice rinks. You can't grind it out in the corners for 10 minutes and get nowhere like they do on NHL rinks.

4) Dump the worthless <censored> hick teams that have no hope of ever making a profit.

1) I think I mostly agree, to speed up the pace of the game. But at the same time I do appreciate a strong blue collar effort to get the job done. In general though, I guess I'd pick a faster pace over mucking and grinding too.

2) Agreed.

3) Top tier NHL pros need more room to work!

4) There's already talk that contraction could happen. The NHL needs to be sustainable above all. I think there was too much expansion too soon. The story of American business!

Also, I'd really like to see no-touch icing become an NHL rule. There's just no need to risk serious injury chasing a puck all the way down the rink. It's just way too hairy and isn't a fundamental ingredient in hockey IMHO.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
no that's the rangers

agreed, how are the rangers going to keep Holik and Jagr. Especially after Holik got paid a little more than 9 mil to play as well as a player who gets paid 2 mil. On the other hand the Wings are equally screwed.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 21
Finally. I am so tired of my friend always talking how there is going to be no more hockey for 2 or 3 years. I guess I was right. I kept entertained myself by playing hockey while season was out.

-Alex-

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 21
I was talking recently to a neighbor of mine who in an earlier life covered the Red Wings as a beat reporter. She was saying last spring that the players were fools for not taking revenue sharing in the 45% range, and that they'd never see the likes of that again. I guess that she was right.

So hockey is back...but no TV deal, a Stanley Cup lost, and a year of being away in disinterested markets spells BIG trouble. The leadership of both management AND the players' union screwed this up big-time. However, the lifetime achievement award for screwing this up has to go to Bob Goodenow of the NHL Players' Union. He led them down the primrose path, and they were burned badly. Had he taken the deal that was on the table last year, even a couple of weeks AFTER the Stanley Cup was cancelled, everyone could have at least claimed small victories. Now this is just one big failure, with the players out a years salary and the prospects of less earnings in the future.

I hope that the league doesn't go under...

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 21
i highly doubt the league will go under...possibly a heavy retraction in teams, but i dont think the canadian public (or possibly government) will allow it's teams to fold...they should maybe go back to 24 teams and close shop in some of the small american markets that had a lack of intrest before the lock out. Atlanta, Nashville, Carolina, Columbus, Pheonix, and possibly pittsburgh should be gone...send a team back to winnipeg and quebec city where there is money to be made...bah, hockey baffles me...Bettman and Goodenow should be canned...maybe gretzky should be the commish...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back