NFC vs BT (Sennheiser Momentum 2)
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Halk

Head-Fier
I bought these last week, and so far I'm delighted with them. The noise cancellation is magic, especially in a busy office.

I notice that they do BT and NFC, I've just paired them to my phone with BT.

Is there any benefit in using NFC, or should I just ignore it?

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 8
I bought these last week, and so far I'm delighted with them. The noise cancellation is magic, especially in a busy office.

I notice that they do BT and NFC, I've just paired them to my phone with BT.

Is there any benefit in using NFC, or should I just ignore it?
NFC uses much less power and it doesn't require pairing with the device, you just touch them together. Bluetooth uses more power but the benefits are that is has better speed and range, NFC is slower and has much less range hence "Near" Field Communication.

Music won't work over NFC though, NFC is simply used to pair devices by touching them together but your music will only play over a Bluetooth signal.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks! BT it is.
Yeah if both your phone and your headphones have NFC then use that since it uses less power and it's super easy to connect them since you just touch them together. But you still have to have Bluetooth on since that's the only way your phone can send music to your headphones wirelessly.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah if both your phone and your headphones have NFC then use that since it uses less power and it's super easy to connect them since you just touch them together. But you still have to have Bluetooth on since that's the only way your phone can send music to your headphones wirelessly.

Ok I gave it a try... unpaired them and paired with NFC but I think all it did was pair them and they're now back on BT. The NFC seems to be just a way to connect them at first.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Ok I gave it a try... unpaired them and paired with NFC but I think all it did was pair them and they're now back on BT. The NFC seems to be just a way to connect them at first.
Keep NFC and Bluetooth on since NFC makes using Bluetooth much easier. Basically you turn on NFC and Bluetooth on both your phone and your headphones and you touch the devices together and now they're connected, simple as that, nothing else required.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 8
NFC has a very close range of about 10cm. So, you can’t just move around your phone freely during data transfer and pairing. While on the other hand, Bluetooth has a significantly better range of about 5-10 meters. As the range is short in NFC, it is not prone to interference in transmission.

NFC uses less power when compared to Bluetooth and the only time when it requires more power than Bluetooth is when it needs to power a passive device, which is not powered (like a programmable tag).

The manual setup required by Bluetooth to pair devices can be tedious at times. NFC pairing vs Bluetooth is fast and hassle-free, but you need to be very close to use it. Sometimes, Bluetooth may fail to connect or pair due to some technical glitches.

With regards to NFC vs Bluetooth speed, NFC pairing is faster than Bluetooth pairing. However, the actual transfer rate is much slower than Bluetooth. This makes NFC less reliable when transferring larger files. NFC is useful when you need to share a text file or a contact detail. For videos and other larger files, Bluetooth is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back