NFB-10SE to being fed from a Xonar STX
Apr 25, 2012 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

trippinonprozac

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am pretty new to all this so was wondering if someone could lend me a hand as I want to get everything setup in the best way possible first time round :)

After much debate I just purchased an Audio-GD NFB-10SE to use both the DAC and headphone amp for my Q701's. I am coming from using the Xonar STX for both amping and its DAC capabilities so hoping for this to be a faily decent step up.

What I am after is some help with the best way to hookup the external DAC/AMP to my sound card? I understand that I can just use the USB and bypass the sound card all together but I would love to be able to use some of my sound cards DSP effects for gaming so was thinking of using the digital outs?

Any infomation or help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 9
I forgot to mention - If there is no benifit of keeping the STX over using the onboard digitial outs from the motherboard then I will sell it.

If there is benifit then obviously I will choose to keep it.

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 9
You can use the digital out from your soundcard to connect the NFB-10SE to your computer, but by doing that your are using your soundcard as a transport between your PC and the DAC in the NFB. I don't know if this is a bad thing or not, you have to check for yourself.

Also, if you want to use the surround (5.1 or 7.1) from your soundcard, I think that's not supported by the NFB.

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #4 of 9
The NFB-10SE makes for a good preamp, but can only be used with 2 channel speakers on it's own. If you're currently running a surround sound setup from your sound card, just use the card's downloadable software to toggle output between SPDIF and surround.

To be honest, I couldn't hear much of a difference between SPDIF and usb on the old TE7022 version, which supported 24/96 over usb. With the new TE8022 usb chip, you may not have any need for your sound card's digital out as that now supports 24/192 over usb.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 9
Test the Coax out on the SXT then test the USB out from your computer. You probably won't be able to tell a difference. If you don't need 5.1 like stated above, you could sell the STX. Consider reterminating your Q701 to balanced before you do anything else. If the 10SE hasn't shipped, buy their balanced kit they sell- you would only need a solder gun then.

Apr 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 9
Sorry guys there may have been some confusion. I do not use a 5.1 channel surround sound. I just use my headphones from my STX and apply a DSP called dolby headphone which gives virtual surround sound.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 9
I am now just thinking of keeping it and having my spare cable plugged directly into its Single ended output for when I want to play games. The onboard amp is enough to bring the best out in games anyway.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 9
I am now just thinking of keeping it and having my spare cable plugged directly into its Single ended output for when I want to play games. The onboard amp is enough to bring the best out in games anyway.

I found I enjoyed games more with the Dolby off after a while. It does help with positioning a bit but it doesn't sound 'right' in most games as the dolby effect is meant to simulate a room. Realism wise, with the dolby on games with outdoor environments will sound like they are indoors and games with indoor environments will have twice the reverb effects. The positioning bonus is great with less high-end headphones, but with higher end phones like your 701s you may find you prefer it off. :wink:
I'd sell the essence and use the money from the sale to pick up a USB > SPIDF convetor like Audio-GD's DI. Try finding some reviews on them, supposedly they can improve the sound quite a bit, though I don't have any experience with them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back