Next upgrade: source or amp?
Apr 30, 2002 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gloom

100+ Head-Fier
My system: D-25S -> JMT amp (two 9v batteries) -> Headphones
(Most of my listening is via HD580, though I also spend time with my other 'phones.)

I've got around $500 to spend, maybe a little more.

For sources, I'm thinking something like a Cambridge D500SE, NAD C541, or possibly stretching to a Sony 333 or C555ES (I've seen these on Audiogon for $600 or so.) I haven't made up my mind about SACD yet, though, so the Sonys aren't as likely a choice (though I hear their redbook is also really good.) There are also many other options at this price point, though I believe the CA and NAD are the only ones I could audition around here.

For amps, the field is clearer: I'm leaning toward a Corda, or possibly an MG Head. Probably Corda, as I don't want to muck around with tubes, and the 'Head is allegedly a poor match for some of my headphones (Grado.)

Anyway. Will I see a bigger gain from upgrading my source, or my amp?

Apr 30, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 12
In my opinion, upgrading your source first then your amp would be the logical choice. I have a NAD C541i that I purchased from Yawa Audio. It was brand new but a damaged shipping box. Came to $388.00 plus shipping. You will then have a bit o' cash left to start saving for a Corda or Little, or something else in the $200-$300 price range. Then you'll have a home system and a portable system.

Apr 30, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 12
If you can push for it, go for the ES line, if only so you won't have to think about it or the next upgrade. Also, its big selling point for me is it's built. I had the intention of getting one of sony's lower end models but when I did a comparison, I knew I had to get the 555 or else I'd still be thinking about it.

Apr 30, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 12
gloom,

Upgrade your source. I own a NAD c541 ($350). No frills design, HDCD, CDR/W playback. Highly recommended.

NAD 541/MG Head DT/Senn 580 - great combo, especially for jazz and classical. IMHO

Regards - reynman

Apr 30, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 12
I'd say source also, but I'll go against the trend here and throw ina plug for the D500SE.

OT: It's weird seeing JMT with a Max as his avatar instead of an altiods can.
eek.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 12
upgrade your source unit, then go for the cables (power and IC's).

Warning: UPGRADING can have an addictive effect!!!! Use caution.

May 1, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 12
If you don't already have a LOT of CD's, you might consider a nice turntable (Rega p2, mm5, NAD) below 500 and spend the rest on vinyl on ebay.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2002 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 12
The amp can only amplify what your source feeds it,

No question, upgrade source first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back