Next Step?
Jan 17, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

beez

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, i've been lurking here every day now for a while and got a pair of SR60s for christmas and love them. i'm liking the reverse modded 414 pads and modded the grille to a new silver mesh. i figured i'd try out the fiio e5 since it was so cheap, and feel that the bass boost helps fill out the sound and the extra bass is nice. so obviously now i'm looking for the next step. i've done a crazy amount of reading and i know there are a ton of threads asking more or less what i'm about to ask, but where should i go from here?

i wanna spend around $100 or less, but what would be the best way to spend it? i've been looking at slightly nicer amps, like the PA2V2 and the little dot micro+. right now i'm listening to my music from my macbook > e5 > sr60. would i be best spending it on a DAC, DAC/amp combo, or something else?

i know in a lot of threads many people say just save the money and upgrade to the sr225 or something, but i think i wanna keep the sr60 for a little while since i just got them, and then sometime in the future i'll go for something way nicer. is this dumb? there was a noticeable improvement with the addition of the e5, and i'd kinda just like to bump it up a bit. i'm not really expecting to be completely blown away given my budget. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 4
I would go for a source. A dac is probably the biggest jump in SQ you can get for ~$100. I haven't heard the low end grados with an amp, though, so I can't comment on that. You can get a decent dac now and just get a good amp in the future.

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by beez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know in a lot of threads many people say just save the money and upgrade to the sr225 or something...

That's what I do. As a rule, I'd advise getting the phones you want before worrying about the source. Doing it the other way might have you buying a new source anyway once you get the phones. I'm not advocating a specific upgrade to the SR225, but the general idea of putting the phones first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back