Next step??
May 6, 2008 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

grndslm

1000+ Head-Fier
Heya'll...

So, I've finally decided that I must have 5 pair of headphones, and I've already got 3 (ignore my sig, it's outta date). Here's what I'm after, listing the ones I've already got:

Portable, open --- KSC75 (headband or clips)
Portable, closed - MDR-V6
Home, highs ------ ???
Home, mids ------- AD700
Home, lows -------- ???

I love my 3 current cans, but I wish my AD700 had more impact in the bass. I might upgrade to AD900 someday, but from what I read... the impact & detail doesn't get that much better.

Anyway, I have typical crappy sources (computer, sansa e280) & I'm really looking for cans that sound good without an amp, but it doesn't hurt if they sound good with and without an amp as well. Open or closed, doesn't matter.

Cans for focusing on the lows, I'm thinking either D2000 or some kinda Beyer. Any Beyer provide as good of a value as the D2000? Comfort level?

Cans for focusing on the highs, I'm definitely thinking MS-1 or SR-125.

I mostly know where I'd like to go, but I'm just looking for a little contrast or maybe there's something hot I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - Comfort is pretty important to me. This is prolly tricky for the Gradessandros, but I'd prolly end up going for the MS-1 for the comfies.

May 6, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 7
a bit off topic but to me it sounds as if you are listening to the equipment and not the music(which is fine, i don't have the right to tell you what's wrong or right).. i mean, to enjoy a specific song you need a specific set of cans?

May 6, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm definitely listening to the music.. and I'm missing something. I listen to loads of music, but the AD700 just doesn't do rap period, and I'm sure rock would sound a little better with some Gradessandros.

I feel like I need something that's got a decent kick to the bass for some laid back music, since I'm a basshead. And I've always figured I'd like Grados, so I'll snag one of those for the upfront songs.

If anybody has any objection to the D2000 or MS-1... speak now or forever hold your peace.

May 6, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i mean, to enjoy a specific song you need a specific set of cans?

Yes, I could stop at the KSC75, which would have saved me a ton of time and money, but it's a FACT that some songs sound better on some cans, while others sound better on other cans.

To me, headphones are like "pre-built EQs" that have a signature sound for a signature genre...

May 7, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 7
When I first came here, I based my decisions for can preference based on other folks' preferences & their ability to translate these preferences to words. I figured I'd be a Grado and Beyer guy... but I've yet to hear either one. There doesn't seem to be anything else like Grado, but I think I might be moving past the Beyers to something like the Denons or Ultrasones.

I was highly considering the D2000... I'd never really given much thought to Ultrasone until I stumbled on a thread comparing them to the D2000. Grado users found the D2000 "dull" or dark. Most every review said the D2000 sounds great all around... but could an Ultrasone sound better?

The Ultrasone lineup is confusing to me... what are the cans I should be paying attention to (for less than $250~$300)??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back