Next step up in my system? DAC?
Nov 5, 2007 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jellybones

500+ Head-Fier
So, as pointed out by anyone with eyes..the EMU0404 is the weak link in my setup. (See my sig.) A source upgrade makes the most sense to me, at this point. I'm planning on buying an Ori modded Zhaolu because all of my listening is PC based and there are great reviews concerning this DAC in the price range.

My questions are..Am I correct in my thinking? Am I headed in the right direction? How significant of an improvement do you think this upgrade will bring?

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning on buying an Ori modded Zhaolu because all of my listening is PC based and there are great reviews concerning this DAC in the price range.

My questions are..Am I correct in my thinking? Am I headed in the right direction? How significant of an improvement do you think this upgrade will bring?

You could save yourself a packet of money and look at the Beresford TC-7510 MK6/3 instead. It will hammer that Zhaolu, and sounds far better than any of the other TC-7510 I ever tried. A completely different and pleasant sound signature that can finally warrant its claim to be a high-end beater. Gave my modded MK6/1 to a good mate who is financially embarrassed and got a 6/3 instead just to see what the latest hype of hifiwigwam.com is all about. It ain't no hype. Add the savings you made to a good set of interconnects instead. Mind you, the Superace coax cable that can be had with the TC-7510 is hard to beat below U$100, and it only cost a fraction of that
blink.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Actually you bring up a very good comparison Stan. I have rarely seen, if any, comparisons between the OMZ and the Beresford. We've seen the Beresford compared to higher end DACs, and compete with them as well, but then again, almost all budget DACs are compared to high end DACs, and receive similar reviews. Just like the Beresford. So I think it would be a good idea to actually pit the all-mighty Beresford somewhere in its own league.

When you listened to the OMZ(assuming you did, because no one would just recklessly say one DAC is better than the other without listening to it), how did it compare to the Beresford? In terms of Bass response, Brightness, Soundstage. Did any DAC have diminished Highs, Veiled vocals?

Has anyone else listened to both, and can verify Herandus' findings?

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Agreed. Herandu is just being a zealot with his claims. I can't stand when someone unequivocally touts a product as an x or y killer without having the decency to actually listen to the alternatives. It actually turns people off a product when someone interjects in every source thread and gives a knee-jerk response suggesting the Beresford, REGARDLESS of what class of dacs is being discussed.

I own the Beresford and think it's great for it's price and punches above it's class to a degree, but I have heard the Apogee Mini-Dac and Lavry DA10 and the difference to me was well worth the extra expenditure. The difference in resolution alone was startling. I like the Beresford, but I'm sick of the same claims by someone who hasn't actually heard the $1000 and up dacs that the Beresford "destroys".

Nov 5, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 6
x2.
I have a Beresford. It's very nice for its price.
But I also have a Bel Canto DAC2. I've tried the Beresford again after using the DAC2 for a while.
The difference is pretty embarrassing for the Beresford. The TC-7510 sounds rough, grainy and uninvolving. The DAC2 sounds two classes better.
The TC-7510 really does not compete with the high end. New versions are only tweaks. I'm sure the MK6/3 will have better bass or soundstage than before but please don't exaggarate this.
The people on hifiwigwam have usually upgraded to a first dac which will nearly always be a good improvement.

I think Herandu should be considered as member of the trade. He's basicly a Beresford salesman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back