Next step up... HE400S, what next
Mar 6, 2016 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

VT52

New Head-Fier
I've recently picked up the audio bug again after a 12 year hiatus. I (regretful, now in hindsight, which is always 20/20) sold most of my gear so I am starting over from scratch, but this time with head-phones first for practical reasons.

Anyway, to see if I wanted to commit to building my set up from scratch I bought a pair of Hifiman HE-400S on a whim and some reviews. Right now they sit behind my PC, Marantz HD-DAC1 and my diy 71A tube amp. Quite pleased with the sound so far, but just lacking here and there and I know it will bug me eventually. I'm missing some top-end and liveliness ("air") as the music does not seem to come alive or off of the speaker units. So I am already planning ahead and looking for something a couple of steps up (€1K budget). I did not mind spending €300 based on reviews, but they all tend to be positive no matter what brand/model they discuss, so reading between the lines starts to become a serious gamble at this point.

To make a long story short (yeah sorry, too late right?), what is available out there around the €1K line that is worth a listen? I'm looking for over-ear models, preferably open types. I've spotted the Audeze LC2, Grado Statement or RS1e, Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE-6, any others around the 1K mark that I should keep in mind? 

Thank you.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 5
I really like the LCD-2 and Mr. Speakers Ether for a neutral/warmish sound. Just my preference, you should try and audition as much as you can. Also, the tube amp may not have enough power for planars, as they like a high current output.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 5
of the headphones you mentioned that im familiar with theyre warm headphones,coupled with your complaint that they lack "air" and high end,perhaps you might consider Beyer T1's....dunno if it would mate well with your amp or not,but I love my pair,and they dont lack any sparkle whatsoever

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 5
The ones I listed are just ones I found around the budget i have in mind, haven't listened to any of them yet. I'll add the T1 to the list, but I think they are closed types? Thanks for the tip! Same for the MrSpeakers, but I've never seen any store around here carry them.

The amp can handle 600mW@16ohms, so should be alright for basically any headphone under 60 ohms. If not, a new amp is built in a few days, so that will not be an issue.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 5
  The ones I listed are just one around the budget i have in mind, haven't listened to any of them yet. I'll add the T1 to the list, but I think they are closed types? Thanks for the tip!

The T1 is classified as semi-open, but they leak a ton of sound so I'd say they are basically open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back